AdGuard occasionally goes off

Discussion in 'Discussion (AdGuard for Android)' started by jbionic, Mar 8, 2015.

1. jbionic

jbionic Member

I am using Adguard on my asus memo pad fhd 10 tablet.
    It had worked fine until recently when it started automatically switching itself off, or perhaps some other app interferes and causes it to go off, I am not sure, but the key icon disappears from the task panel, and then I have to re-launch the app.
    My first thought was perhaps this was due to some restriction settings, because I was using the free version and it showed the counter of traffic it saved for me at the level of 99 mb. So I re-installed the app to drop the counter. But after re-launching it I witnessed the stoppage again. Now I've made the system re-launch, and it seemingly works fine so far. But I am a little suspicios of the Chrome, which I think may be interfering with Adguard and causing it to close.
    Any thoughts on why this could have happened?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2015
  2. avatar

avatar Administrator Staff Member Administrator

There're 2 options.

1. You use some task killer / system cleaner like CCleaner or Clean Master. It's recommended to add Adguard to exceptions in these cleaner apps.

2. Android kills Adguard's process. Android has complex logic of process killing and it's almost impossible to override it.

Although Adguard's process has high priority Android can start killing if you have some memory-hungry app running.

3. jbionic

jbionic Member

I do run CCleaner on my Android tablet, however it does not have Exceptions functionality like for Windows.

4. vasily_bagirov

vasily_bagirov Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Best solution we can suggest with Android CCleaner is disabling 'Processes' in 'Settings -> Analysis', this should help.

5. Nameless

Nameless Beta Tester

If only that would work, i removed the whole app and adguard still disables its self.

@avatar i'll reply to you here for my thread.
    i would normally say "yes no problem!" but tbh im fed up trouble shooting this issue now as its been over a month and a half with no solution, besides i dont know what a abd catlog is, where its found, saved, created or anything its the first time ive ever heard of one. Ive done a lot to try and fix this and figure out what the issue is but, there is none. I personally feel its an app issue as its the only application that is failing everything else is fine and its pretty odd that android would be only closing the same applicaiton over and over again unless there was something wrong with it.

Adguard disabled its self yet again on Sunday i had been keeping my recent app's clean via closing every app down. I opened up youtube started to watch a video and then lost wifi connection, adguard said "protection is paused!" my wifi came back i continued to watch my video followed by another one so around an hour passed and adguard was still disabled. The only other app i had running at the time was ultimate screen rotator because i use it to lock the screen on certain apps.

Anyway off for some kip i'll decide my definate next move then probably either just deal with adguard disabling which is annoying me or just remove it. Im trying my best not to root because i really can not be bothered with the hassel.

6. avatar

Ok, that is something new and it's not relevant to this thread.

Could you please send me logs once again?

Temporary solution in your case:
    Disable Adguard's autostart and start protection manually on device boot.

7. jbionic

jbionic Member

This is exactly what I did after 1st post. However I have to say Adguard keeps switching off.
    If this is due to Android system intervention, I mean, what is the point of purchasing a premium license then?

8. avatar

Do you use any other VPN app?

How good are you with Android? If you can collect adb logcat logs for me I can say precisely why does that happen.

9. jbionic

jbionic Member

What is adb logcat log, and how do I collect it? I am comfortable wi6h gadgets and quick to learn if you explain in steps what I need to do
    I dont run any other vpn app on my tablet

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2015
  10. Nameless

Nameless Beta Tester

So your solution is that i should do something im already complaining im fed up of doing which is re-starting the application? Ok.

Quick question for you as i have been doing some research my end yet again, could my issue be related to the lollipop memory leak issues i have recently read about? I noticed recently when i went to Settings > Apps > Running system memory in use was over 1.2gig which is obviously a huge chunk of the memory. Right now its sat at around 400mb but was around 250-300 when i first picked up the device. I will admit i never looked at memory in use before just the apps running which really never is that much, right now its sat at apps at 422 as ive been using youtube, facebook and a few others.

11. vasily_bagirov

vasily_bagirov Administrator Staff Member Administrator

12. avatar

Do you constantly reboot the device?

We have two issues:
    1. Wrong events order on system startup (which we will fix soon in the next beta)
    2. Android killing the app. This one is directly related to the memory usage.

13. Nameless

Nameless Beta Tester

So i updated to the latest version yesterday, and was using my nexus in bed last night with some youtube (adguard running in the background) i wake up and start to do some light browsing and i greeted to ads on lifehacker.com, no big deal though they are easy to ignore and i do the reading i want to (the nexus player they just released).

I then went to check the system memory n use (Settings > Apps > Running) Device memory was System 357mb Apps 601mb (higher than usual as i checke something for a friend last night with the google music player), Free 849mb so there are no issues there I then see that adguard is in the running list but there is no icon in my notifications area. I then open up adguard and yet again its disabled, i didn't disable it so its disables its self.

Do you reboot the device constantly?
    No i dont, in fact in the past two weeks it has only been rebooted twice, once because the system memory was taking up all the memory which i think was my last post here and yesterday because i just felt like it. I have been clearing out the recent applications to keep the memory usage in check but unfortunately i have no control on how the "system" uses memory which seem's to rise without explanation.

Anyway i have a recording of me doing all the above which i can upload if requested its only a few seconds long it had been working fine for the past week without an issue then obviously it happened again but then its all completely random. The only change was i activated "SmartApp Lock" on Saturday as i was taking my nexus out with me and like to restrict access to some applications when im out the house so people can not read my emails or download additional applications without my consent.

14. avatar

15. Nameless

Nameless Beta Tester

Thanks i read it and it says this issue was resolved with lollipop.

16. avatar

My bad, don't know why but I thought that you are still on kitkat.

Anyway next beta will fix your issue with wrong events order on device startup.

17. Nameless

Nameless Beta Tester

No problem avatar, look forward to the update.

18. esheesle

esheesle New Member

I've also had this happen twice now. Using latest adguard (updated yesterday) with premium subscription. I have disabled the notification icon as I'm on lollipop and don't just want it sitting on my lockscreen all the time. I see the key icon, everything is working great, then suddenly it will just go away. Looking at the logs it appears the tun interface drops for some reason.

If the problem can't be identified, at minimum having the vpn auto restart might be good to prevent a situation where ads are getting through and aren't expected.

19. avatar

Could you please send the log file to us? Dropping TUN is really weird, usually it is rather stable.

It is possible that VPN is disabled by us (when we see that your device has lost network connection).

20. Nameless

Nameless Beta Tester

Mine went off last night while i was using it. Basically facebook was crashing which resulted in adguard saying im off too.