[AdGuard PRO for iOS] v1.0 beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anijake

Beta Tester
Trying to update to the latest version via Test Flight on two devices and both have stalled during the install process. Should the DNS server have been turned off before updating or something? Will play around and see if I can get it to go. Any suggestions?

Andrew Peplow

Beta Tester
I just deleted Adguard and reinstalled it to new version

Edit: The update tells you to turn off DNS in submenu before updating.

SlowMemory

Beta Tester
Passing AppStore review will mean that we can go further and do the full-scaled on-device filtering as well.
This app https://www.adblockios.com/ claims that it is using fake VPN to do some DNS based filtering without connecting to the remote server, it this method what is going to be used in full-scaled on device filtering? Doesn't this mean that full scale ad blocking in iOS is approved by Apple?

Last edited:

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
Which the fake VPN method is, as far as I know, the only way you can block ads in iOS system-wide... well, unless the device is jailbroken, I'm assuming.

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Let me elaborate a bit.

What they do

They install a VPN profile, which contains a list of rules controlling when iOS should try to use it. Each rule looks like "access domain example.org through the VPN". VPN points to a blackhole, so instead of accessing example.org, the rule actually blocks access. This is a very simple approach, but there was nothing better until network extensions were introduced.

What we do

We use iOS network extensions API. The downside is that this is much more complicated than building an XML file and involves some low-level coding. On the other side, this API allows us to control the filtering process. For instance, the showing you the DNS requests log would be impossible to implement with the old approach. Also what we did in the first version is just a small part of what we are planning (and able) to do.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.