AdGuard Pro (just updated after a year) vs New AdGuard 3.0

Quoi

Long story short, what’s the difference if any between these two releases? As far as I am aware the new Adguard is (will be after the transition period) subscription based. The former Adguard Pro was a one off purchase.

I wouldn’t ordinarily raise this matter however my interest was piqued following an update to Adguard Pro for the first time in a year!

If someone could point me to the release notes detailing the differences that would be fab,

Ta.

Blaz

Moderator & Translator
Staff member
3.0 can be used with mobile lifetime license too, not only subscription. Current pro users can request a free 6 month license.

3.0 can use 5x 50k filter rules ( divided by different sections like Ads, Annoyances etc.), while Pro can only use 50k.

Quoi

Thanks for the reply.

I asked because other Pro users may ask similar questions and not be aware of the differences between the two variants, especially in light of the recent update to Pro.

Dave009

3.0 can be used with mobile lifetime license too, not only subscription. Current pro users can request a free 6 month license.
Well, I'm still confused. I only see AdGuard Pro in App Store. And my lifetime licence for Pro entitles me to only 6 months use of AdGuard 3. What is the benefit? Ongoing support?

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
There was a blog post about this: https://adguard.com/en/blog/adguard-pro-is-back.html

Long story short, AG Pro for iOS is a year 'behind' the current AG for iOS and will have to be updated to "catch up" with the non-Pro version. The Pro version has system-wide ad blocking, while the current non-Pro version doesn't. Now that AG Pro for iOS can be updated again, they'll have to think of new features to add (in addition to porting the ones in the non-Pro version).

Wheat

one question, the system wide VPN (which is the only interesting stuff in Pro version) will be ported to non-pro versions above v3.0 ?

Dave009

My understanding is that if you you the in app purchase to upgrade to Premium (yearly subscription), you will get the system wide dns blocking feature activated (as in Pro version). Benefit is you get 5x50k ad limit with AdGuard 3.0 over 50k limit with Pro.
I have older Pro and haven't found the 50k limit to be an issue. DNS blocking is the go for sure.

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
From what I last heard, indeed they intend to backport the system-wide VPN to the non-Pro version. Also the Pro version will gain the 5X content blocker to bypass the Safari content blocker too.

Wheat

Humm,
as far as I can see the non-pro version DNS is only an http DNS, not a system wide one as for the older pro version. This means you keep the banners in other apps.
The second consequence of what Boo Berry told is that probably hence, also the pro version (which is now a one-stop-shop) will get the same licensing schema of the non-pro one.

best
W.

chief117

I am using latest AdGuard Pro with jailbreak so i can have how many filters i need. That is enjoyable.

I thought the system wide ad blocking was removed per Apple's policy.

There have been changes since this thread was opened. What is the difference between Pro and in-app purchased Premium?

Dave009

Pro is still limited to 50k ad limit whereas Premium is 5x50. Probably a few internal improvements too. Pro should receive an update shortly but I suspect improvements may be subscription based as that unfortunately appears to be the approach now being adopted.
System wide blocking - recent change in Apple policy now permits it. For how long?

Pro is still limited to 50k ad limit whereas Premium is 5x50. Probably a few internal improvements too. Pro should receive an update shortly but I suspect improvements may be subscription based as that unfortunately appears to be the approach now being adopted.
System wide blocking - recent change in Apple policy now permits it. For how long?
I'm still not sure of the differences in features between the two.

Is that only when using DNS filtering?

3.0 can use 5x 50k filter rules ( divided by different sections like Ads, Annoyances etc.), while Pro can only use 50k.
How do Pro users request the free 6 month Premium sub?

Also, does the system wide ad blocking feature require the sub to work? Does it work only with the custom DNS server function enabled? I own AG Pro, but haven't been using it to assign a DNS server. I'm also using the 1.1.1.1 app, which also uses a fake VPN to assign a custom DNS server. I haven't checked to see if they work together - I don't see how that's possible.

Chinaski

Support Marine
Staff member
Administrator
@Kendell Robert Todd

In order to get a license key for 6 months you need to do the following(Send this information to me in PM):

1) Open the phone/tablet settings
2) Go to iTunes and the App Store
3) Open "View Apple ID"
4) Go to the "Purchase History" and find in it the purchase of AdGuard Pro
5) In the order that opens, click "Resend"

Chinaski

Support Marine
Staff member
Administrator
Hello there!
Safari filter is now included in AdGuard Base filter.
Therefore, it does not make sense to use it.