AdGuard Pro - not working in Facebook app web browser

hyperexpert

When using Facebook app and clicking on links to articles, Facebook opens the articles in its own built-in browser. Adguard does not block any ads in the built-in browser and just shows everything! Not sure if Twitter does the same too. It would be great if there is a way to filter that junk out too.

Thanks

vasily_bagirov

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
@hyperexpert
Unfortunately there are some apps (and Facebook is among them) where we can't completely block ads with DNS blocking. The reason is, sometimes facebook uses the same servers to load both ads and useful content. By blocking those servers we would block ads, but also block this content. Choosing the lesser of two evils, we intentionally do not block such servers.

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
As I understand, Facebook does not use Safari View Controller (which in turn uses content blocker).

Ad networks are still blocked in facebook browser, but cosmetic rules aren't applied.

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Let's hope facebook will switch to the safari view controller one day, at least that's what Apple pushing all devs to.

DavidCMC

As I understand, Facebook does not use Safari View Controller (which in turn uses content blocker).

Ad networks are still blocked in facebook browser, but cosmetic rules aren't applied.
What do you mean with "as networks" still being blocked? I know Adguard Pro doesn't block ads in Facebook app timeline, but how about links opened in its (shitty) built-in browser?

And what would those "cosmetic rules" be?

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
What do you mean with "as networks" still being blocked? I know Adguard Pro doesn't block ads in Facebook app timeline, but how about links opened in its (shitty) built-in browser?
By "AD networks" I mean advertising domains like doubleclick.net and such, which are blocked by the "system-wide ad blocking" module.

And what would those "cosmetic rules" be?
Cosmetic rules are supposed to hide ads and ad leftovers. For instance, Google search ads cannot be prevented from loading, so to hide them we have to use cosmetic rules.

DavidCMC

By "AD networks" I mean advertising domains like doubleclick.net and such, which are blocked by the "system-wide ad blocking" module.

Cosmetic rules are supposed to hide ads and ad leftovers. For instance, Google search ads cannot be prevented from loading, so to hide them we have to use cosmetic rules.
Ok. So, by blocking ad networks, will Adguard Pro block video and static ads in Facebook built-in browser?

vasily_bagirov

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
@DavidCMC yes it should. System-wide ad blocking doesn't really care where do you stumble upon these ad networks, if it's on the list, it will be blocked.

bigdata

It's most likely the simplified domain name filter is not blocking enough ad domains. I know Disconnect works great even with Facebook in-app browser. My guess is they have more blocked domains than whatever the filter AdGuard is using.

Also it's helpful to know Facebook's in-app filter doesn't use Safari View Controller. Thanks for pointing that out.