AdGuard Pro + ProtonVPN

Abby

Beta Tester
Hi, I have a problem with current use Adguard Pro and ProtonVPN on iOS (actually 14.3). If I activate AdGuard Pro both options (Safari Protection and DNS Protection) and activate ProtonVPN, internet not working, both wifi and mobile data. If I deactivate DNS Protection, internet working, but not blocking ads...
Help me please. I would like use both services. Thank you.

AlexHL

I think I have a similar issue with both Adguard Pro and ProtonVPN. Every time I turn on my phone it doesn't auto connect to my wifi. I have to go through the process off turning off Adguard DNS, turn off ProtonVPN, turn on Aduard DNS and turn on ProtonVPN, in order to get wifi working. Is there a way to get it to autoconnect when you're using Adguard DNS filtering and a VPN?

Abby

Beta Tester
No, I have an other problem. If I activate ProtonVPN + AdGuard, internet is working until I change the connection type (wifi to 4G/4G to wifi). After change, web browser not working and tell, that problem with DNS (A server with the specified hostname could not be found. NSURLErrorDomain). Mail or Twitter working correctly. I`m activating flight mode and deactivating back and internet in web browser works normally again.

BTW if I deactivated DNS security, AdGuard + ProtonVPN working normal, but much more ads is not blocked...

Nuro

I have the same problem. I'm using ProtonVPN with DNS Protection, server "AdGuard DNS". It's kinda hit or miss whenever it's working or not. From what I experienced so far: If I set AdGuard DNS server to either "Regular" or "DNSCrypt", in 95% cases internet works just fine (if it doesn't, I just set server to "DNSCrypt" again) and switching between WiFi and cellular does not cause any problems with browsing net. If I switch server to "DNS-over-{anything}" (remaining last 3 options), it usually doesn't work and if I change connection between WiFi and Cellular, I lose ability to load any webpage if internet was working fine earlier. Tested on iOS/iPadOS 14.3/14.4.

Bruno

Personnally I never faced this issue with Proton VPN.
Today I switched to Winscribe and everything is still working well.

In both cases I used AG DNS over QUIC.

Nuro

Weird, but I’m not surprised. I already contacted support and they can’t reproduce issue (I even recorded whole process). I tried it already on 3 different devices over at least 3 completely different networks and every single time I had the same issue. I thought it will be easy to reproduce on any device, because for me it looked like all I had to do is connect to any ProtonVPN server and then set AdGuard dns server (with protocol for example dns over https), but I guess it’s not that easy.

Bruno

I am sure you did it but just to be sure... Split tunnel is activated in AG?

Also, Proton VPN must use IKEv2 protocol.

Nuro

Yes, Split Tunnel is activated in AdGuard and I’m using IKEv2 on ProtonVPN. Both are appearing and are active in system settings VPN section (ProtonVPN shows up in “Personal VPN“ section, AdGuard in “VPN Configurations”)

Bruno

So you are good. I really don't know why it isn't working.

Did you try to delete and install again both profiles?

I do remember now that I had serious issues with DNS over sthg and I could use only DNScrypt. I deleted AG app installed it again, change the DNS protocol. Nothing worked.
Then I switched to DNScloack and used Adguard DNS without any problem, weird isn't it? It did not wo3k with AG app but it worked with DNScloak ‍♂

Then, one day I switched back to AG Pro again, and miracl! everything was working fine. Today I am using DNS over QUIC with no concern. My only problem is the ping, between 100 to 200. But even with Cloudflare I didn't see any real improvement.

Nuro

VPN profiles (if thats what you mean) are automatically removed upon deleting app and I was reinstalling both of them multiple times (I’m not even counting multiple devices), so I would say yes. Clean installation with no additional settings/filters, nothing helped.

Only (I think?) regular and dnsscript protocols are working, so I’m in kinda similar situation. I’m fine with how it works as now (currently I’m using DNSScript) so I’ll just stick with that for now until someone finds real issue or when it gets fixed. I spent already too much time on it.

Bruno

I understand.

BTW no help from the support?
You also open a ticked on Github to track your problem.

Good luck.

Nuro

I reached out support, I sent them logs and made full video with all my settings etc., but apparently they are unable to reproduce it. They know about this issue and they are working on solution, so hopefully they will be able to fix it.