AdGuard Pro, VPN filters vs. safari content filters

vasily_bagirov

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hi @Sputnivk !

VPN does not use filterlists as is. Instead we block various ad servers. You can read more about how DNS blocking works here: https://adguard.com/adguard-dns/overview.html, or use a link inside the app.

And for the second question, I am not ready to give you an answer. You can't compare them as a whole because Content Blocker only works in Safari, but if you only consider the speed of blocking in Safari, and ignore everything else, then probably Content Blocker works faster.

Sputnivk

Beta Tester
I asked because I was wondering if using the VPN and the content blocker at the same time would be redundant?

Mentioning your DNS blocking solution, would using the DNS and the VPN be redundant?

vasily_bagirov

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Mentioning your DNS blocking solution, would using the DNS and the VPN be redundant?
To use DNS blocking you simply have to use VPN (although a fake one). When you enable DNS filtering in Adguard Pro, it establishes a fake VPN connection.

I was wondering if using the VPN and the content blocker at the same time would be redundant?
It is not; you can still use both Content Blocker and DNS blocking at the same time in Safari.

ganja24

Beta Tester
Good that sync is in works, Touch ID is great if family filter is on or blocked x websites so kids can't disable

Bruno

I am confused about something. If we can use the DNS with the content filter then why this last one is grey in the settings. It cannot be enabled on my side when the non Pro version was activated.

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I am confused about something. If we can use the DNS with the content filter then why this last one is grey in the settings. It cannot be enabled on my side when the non Pro version was activated.
Sorry, I didn't get what you mean. Could you please take a screenshot and show what is greyed out exactly?