ADGUARD Recommended Settings ? (Windows)

Discussion in 'Discussion (AdGuard for Windows)' started by Gass, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Gass

Gass Member

ADGUARD Recommended Settings ?

I don't know where to look for this information, if there is a single resource - if it's detailed enough?
    The (?) PopUps are helpful but only for what a setting does, not so if it may have a negative result in
    leading to a system slow down or other troubles. So I thought I'd ask it here...

Windows OS and with Internet Explorer.

What are the basic general settings needed to be set and used for a beneficial use of Adguard, yet light on
    system resources and footprint with the impact to one's system and web browsing not fazed or much at all.

1. - All around system performance
    2.- All around ad and surfing protection

- General Settings
    - Ad Blocker
    - Stealth Mode
    - Browsing Security
    - Filtering Apps
    - Parental Control
    - Extensions

I. - I'm looking for some expertise in what someone should always have set with 1 and 2 above in mind,
    and please give your answer like it's a persons first time experiencing and using Adguard and that of your
    advice as a generic value consideration for versions of Windows OS and IE Browser being used.

II.- I know each one may have different take as to that of your own system and browser versions being
    used with Adguard IN that your own preferences of settings. Please remember this is for Windows OS with an Internet Explorer browser being used, so looking here for a guide to general settings and of a checklist for Adguard to insure (compare) they are always set for any new or reinstall of Adguard for Windows.

Thanks I know I ask a lot - if there's a link to this info. that'll be fine too.
    Gass

2. aegis

aegis Administrator Administrator

Hi.
    There are not so many things to tune, actually.
    Don't forget to enable https filtering though.
    And I can recommend using this set of filters (switch Russian to your native language filter):

upload_2016-9-9_16-41-37.png

Stealth-mode options are up to you.

3. Gass

Gass Member

@ aegis thanks for your answers,

There may not be a lot to tune but there are a lot of settings to consider, and to insure they get set again, as in the fact Adguard 6.0 wouldn't automatic update for me to 6.1. I even tried to install 6.1 over the top of 6.0 no luck, ended up uninstalling with REVO and running a few registry cleaners to get a clean slate.
    Needless to say Adguard 6.1 brought many more Adguard Filters - Filters Subscriptions which one is only allowed (X) many to use.
    To understand the most beneficial ones to use would help out a great deal to aid in not getting a warning from Adguard of to many.

Along with Adguard's [“Extended interface” to adjust advanced options] now set as apart of the regular interface to a user. the vast many other settings held within Adguard layers now exposed for one to decide how to configure / if your not versed in installing Adguard this can be overwhelming to some, in understanding what is to be considered, what is a necessity to set, and options for one to choose in addition to the usual run of the mill settings for general purpose use of Adguard.

You know I thought I'd be hearing a lot of comments. Links to some beneficial resources on the subject, and after searching the web
    I've come to realize this subject isn't covered. Not everyone shelling out their money for Adguard is a geek or could be considered techy without some form of a TUT / Guide covering the subject. It only leave for them and me the default setting as set when installed by Adguard. Even with the Adguard's supporting community there are no covered topics on the subject, so it appears to be a thing of the user beware-trail an error methods we are left with here, and why I started this thread... Helpful Answers Please!

NOT HERE:
    https://kb.adguard.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/List
    https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdguardKnowledgebase/
    https://adguard.com/en/adguard-windows/quick-tour.html#quickTour
    https://adguard.com/en/faq.html
    https://blog.adguard.com/en/adguard-for-windows-v6-1/
    But Why? Wouldn't you want a purchase of Adguard to be fully understood and utilized efficiently?
    Gass

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  4. Lode

Lode New Member

I just changed some settings -added some by ticking boxes- out of curiosity, and now some YouTube clips won't play. And I can't send a filled in form on SpamCop. But I can disabling (Exit) AdGuard.

Now if I could only remember the default settings... ; )

But I also just send in a ticket asking what they are.

It would be handy if there would be a "Default Settings" button or check box somewhere. : )

5. Gass

Gass Member

Yes but (again) there are a lot of setting that one is able to change, drifting far away from anything that was once a default install.
    I'm with you @Lode "it would be handy if there would be a "Default Settings" button".
    EDIT:

I don't change just one setting after an install - many I do tweak and to know which one is giving me trouble is impossible for the inexperienced, I could go slower and make one change and wait a few days to see but, where is the logic for this kind of thinking in todays world?

The hard way (only way I can figure it) I can think of is to uninstall Adguard and then clean up system and re-install Adguard and take screenshots of each setting of all departments and of all items at their default value to have a reference, should one ever need
    to revert back a one setting or know that it wasn't set before and you changed it.

I wished some beta tester or someone experienced would chime in and give a good reference that (old timers like me) could know
    1. what are the installed defaults - to reset to defaults see EDIT (above) credit to Vasily
    2. what settings are safe to change
    3. what filter you should be using of offered subscriptions
    4. anything else, etc. . .

Thanks for your post @LOBE :D [ you might untick anything Stealth Mode or the whole thing and try again without disabling all of Adguard ]
    Gass

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  6. Lode

Lode New Member

PS:
    I didn't go through the experimental process described in this post. See post below this one.

Thank you much for your kind response. And for that practical solution.

I'll uninstall AdGuard using the "deep scan" option of my free version of Revo Uninstaller > Install Adguard again > Make screen shots of all the default settings.

Then after that I can as an experiment tick an extra box, and see if I can still watch this video, as that was the one I couldn't see with the extra settings I had enabled:

"[HD] Jet Cockpit-view Compilation 1"

I'll continue checking boxes until I can't see that video any more. Then I know the last checked box -option- is the culprit, and untick that one.

After that I'll report back here.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  7. Lode

Lode New Member

PS:
    Funny thing: AdGuard remembered my latest settings, even though I deleted all data -including in my registry- through the deep scan with Revo Uninstaller. So AdGuard must have saved them on their server... and when you reinstall nicely -automatically- gives you back all the settings you had when you uninstalled. Even my life-long license was automatically enabled. (Good handy feature that last one.)

I couldn't even access my home page any more, this one: https://www.startpage.com/ in my oldie but still goody Opera 12.18. But disabling (Exit) AdGuard I get that home page.
    (Just Disabling protection won't do for that browser, but it does give me access to that home page in Firefox, IE 11, and Epic though.

I unchecked a few boxes, but still don't know. It's quite a bit of hit/miss affair work. So I decided to save myself the trouble, and wait for AdGuard's reply.

Back later...

8. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Moderator + Beta Tester Moderator

Actually, settings aren't saved server-side yet, as the sync feature hasn't been done yet. What most likely happened is the Adguard settings in the ProgramData folder were retained and Revo missed them.

Gass likes this.
  9. Lode

Lode New Member

Not so sure about that.

But I had not checked the "Also delete settings" box. A big difference. The "check" mark was greyed out, but still the mark was in it. That fooled me at first.

This time I checked the "Also delete settings" box on the default AdGuard Uninstall panel.

After that I reinstalled, and at first it said "14 days trial period." (Translated from my Dutch language setting.) But right after that it changed to "Updated" and AdGuard was licensed to me again.

I saw various Internet connections being made to AdGuard in the mean time in the monitor panel of my free GlassWire firewall.

It turns out that all mentioned issues are solved now. :)

10. Gass

Gass Member

@Lode

I learned some from your comments, (don't know if a system restart after uninstall would of made a difference).
    Adguard remembering/finding your license after reinstall might be something Adguard does in ID-ing your system to keep from piracy (which I think is great), popular, useful software having a personal need and value to some is stolen that way and Developers needs strong means to combat it.

I'm glad all is back to default settings for you so you can journal or screenshot that of your changes you make, the point you made about disabling Adguard's just don't cut it and let some sites/browsers work and needing to exit program after disabling it - I remember that in my past experiences with just IE11 and having to do it also.

A program like Reg Organizer http://www.chemtable.com/organizer.htm , to where it - can trace an install and monitor system changes, might be useful to know where Adguard is installing and changing of your system for future knowledge. The homepage doesn't seem to mention this feature (and I haven't used it) but it's in the program (see my images).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Thanks Gass :D

11. Lode

Lode New Member

Thank you.

At one point I was thinking of just utilizing a system backup made some days ago, saved on an external drive... :p

Maybe the suggestion to add a "Default settings" or "Restore to default settings" button or check box will be implemented by the AdGuard developers . As you said, many users might get confused and encounter difficulties otherwise, as I did.

But your idea to simply uninstall and reinstall again was the ticket. I would only add that ticking the "Also remove settings" box is a must in order to get a fresh install with the default settings.

So thank you much for that excellent tip.:cool:

Gass likes this.
  12. vasily_bagirov

vasily_bagirov Administrator Staff Member Administrator

@Lode

Actually, you can reset the settings to default from tray menu. Right-click on Adguard icon in tray, choose 'Advanced' -> 'reset settings'.

Gass likes this.
  13. Lode

Lode New Member

Oh wow!

Thank you very much!

Maybe someone could add this to the Q&A list on the AdGuard site. I searched there but didn't see it. (Unless I overlooked it.)

Very good to know this. :cool:

14. Gass

Gass Member

That's what the Adguard forum is for users helping users and talking to Adguard's Team.
    Glad I was of help and don't mention it really as I like to help in my field of experience and it is not vast, so you made my day
    by your thank you.

Off topic- I seen a PBS airing that somewhere over there in your region an experiment that grows vegetables in combination of sea and fresh water, which can be used in countries where the soil is of high salt content. Really cool and interesting...
    http://av.voanews.com/Videoroot/Pangeavideo/2014/11/7/75/75e58b37-4e7b-446c-b6b3-5f347be00424.mp4

"Whowee That's fast" - No really I had no ideal this was even offered yet, was it in AG6.0 as well?
    It'll be a life saver to some Vasily, I know I could of used it a few times in early install days experimentations.
    This is of but one of the fields that Adguard does well is listen to the user...

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
  15. vasily_bagirov

vasily_bagirov Administrator Staff Member Administrator

We have a belief that tray menu is something a regular user will not need in everyday use of Adguard. For example, there is an 'Advanced settings' menu item in there which is not accessible from anywhere else. This is because those settings and options are not meant for everyday use, can do more harm than good if you are not sure what you are doing, and should be generally only conidered when something went wrong - in which case user is supposed to contact support (or go to forums) anyway. This may be a debatable policy, but we stick to it, at least for now.

16. Lode

Lode New Member

The thought that it was quickly developed also passed my mind. Yet I don't know if doing that is possible in such a short time.
    But anyway, that I got such a quick effective response from Vasili is also proof that AdGuard listens well to the user.

17. Lode

Lode New Member

Thank you.

The Reset to default option seems to me to be one thing that won't cause trouble to users. On the contrary; after having experimented with adding extra settings, the user might get issues and want them solved by returning to how things were before. But not exactly remember how that was setting-wise. And then begin to fumble, like I did.

I'm glad that Reset option is there, and would have utilized it had I known about it. So I still think it is a good idea to make at least this one known through the Q&A list.
    I don't even consider it an Advanced option. It's more for the regular user who is not that knowledgeable, but got curious, and that curiosity got him or her in trouble. :eek: And then searches in the Q&A section for a solution. I did.

Just my opinion... ;)

Of course if I would have seen this simple quick solution in the Q&A section, I would not have asked the technical staff for the default settings (which I didn't get b.t.w., instead I was advised to uncheck one setting, which didn't solve the issue).

But I would also not have come to this forum... and missed out on these friendly chats...

As famous Johan Cruyff soccer player and my fellow countryman once said:

"Every disadvantage has its advantage." :D

Gass likes this.
  18. Gass

Gass Member

Lode you could make a topic here in Adguard for Windows and label it "Return Adguard to DEFAULT settings", point out how to find the setting to accomplish the task and then if a user doesn't find it on front page new topics they can do a forums search and then find their need information.

Gass

19. Lode

Lode New Member

Good idea. Thanks.

But looking at all the topics on this forum, I wondered under which one I should post it...

Anyway, since it will come up searching for "default settings", I guess it doesn't matter much.

I'll post it under Filters.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  20. Gass

Gass Member

I would suggest Discussion Adguard for Windows, as Vasily's directions were for this version and it's more correct.
    I'm not sure about Mac's and mobile platforms. OK :D
    Gass

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016