AdGuard service still consumes bandwidth after closing browser on certain sites

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
EDIT: This issue occurs on swearnet.com on any video (click Free Video Previews then select one of the Podcasts). If you load a video and pause it to let it load, then close the browser, downloading in the background still occurs until you kill/restart AdguardSvc.exe to return it to normal. It's related to the issue some time ago where things would still download in the background even after closing the browser(s).

Is the issue where Adguard would continue downloading stuff (like videos) after closing the browser(s) back? I've noticed lately, especially after opening multiple videos at the same time, then closing the browser(s), that there *seems* to be major usage of data in the background (remember the browsers were closed - it seems like things are being buffered) until I forcefully reset Adguard via Command Prompt.

When I get more time, I'm going to investigate this further (using Wireshark, etc.). Just a quick mention just in case anyone else has noticed anything like this again. But then again, maybe I'm just imagining things.

P.S. I think this can also be an opportunity for Adguard to add a new "network monitor" feature which allows us to see what processes are currently uploading/downloading data through Adguard, along with up/down speeds, etc. and it all should be in real time. I think this would be VERY handy and would be awesome to have ASAP.

Last edited:

shuheng

I do not know what the reason is, I just use my habits
May see youtube, while watching the communication software video, or put other music, or open a web game

These are not normal in WFP startup, at least I do not currently open WFP to use

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
Is the issue where Adguard would continue downloading stuff (like videos) after closing the browser(s) back? I've noticed lately, especially after opening multiple videos at the same time, then closing the browser(s), that there *seems* to be major usage of data in the background (remember the browsers were closed - it seems like things are being buffered) until I forcefully reset Adguard via Command Prompt.

When I get more time, I'm going to investigate this further (using Wireshark, etc.). Just a quick mention just in case anyone else has noticed anything like this again. But then again, maybe I'm just imagining things.

P.S. I think this can also be an opportunity for Adguard to add a new "network monitor" feature which allows us to see what processes are currently uploading/downloading data through Adguard, along with up/down speeds, etc. and it all should be in real time. I think this would be VERY handy and would be awesome to have ASAP.
Yeah, I think this is definitely back. I was able to reproduce this (and monitor the traffic using NetBalancer) pretty easily; load/buffer up a long HD video (e.g. probably YouTube but I used Swearnet as my test case) and verify the browser (in this case chrome.exe) is using all available bandwidth. Then close the browser... in my result I'd see the traffic stop for a moment (with the browser closed) then a new process (Service Traffic - which is various non-TCP/IP traffic, like DNS requests, PINGs etc. that NetBalancer can't identify) will begin using all available bandwidth. Now, if I force close AdguardSvc.exe the traffic listed under Service Traffic stops instantly and everything returns to normal again. It might be ESET-related as well, I'll need to test this in a bit in a VM.

IMO, this is a critical issue.

EDIT: See next post, doesn't seem like a widespread issue, just to specific sites.

pegas

Beta Tester
Yeah, I think this is definitely back. I was able to reproduce this (and monitor the traffic using NetBalancer) pretty easily; load/buffer up a long HD video (e.g. YouTube) and verify the browser (in this case chrome.exe) is using all available bandwidth. Then close the browser... in my result I'd see the traffic stop for a moment (with the browser closed) then a new process (Service Traffic - which is various non-TCP/IP traffic, like DNS requests, PINGs etc. that NetBalancer can't identify) will begin using all available bandwidth. Now, if I force close AdguardSvc.exe the traffic listed under Service Traffic stops instantly and everything returns to normal again.

IMO, this is a critical issue.
I also experienced it with Opera 43.

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
Confirmed it in a Windows 10 virtual machine - it's not related to ESET. So far I've found it happens with any videos on Swearnet.com (it's a paid $4.20 subscription, but there's free preview videos there too where this happens, e.g. the podcast videos). Force killing/rebooting AdguardSvc.exe stops it.

Now looking for more video sites to reproduce this.

EDIT: Doesn't seem to happen on YouTube. Trying others and I'll keep a list here.

Affected:

Swearnet

Not Affected:

YouTube
Vimeo
Twitch
Netflix
Dailymotion
Facebook videos

It's looking like it's a Swearnet.com issue only!

EDIT 2: Yeah, looks like it's swearnet.com only where this occurs (so far). Adding the site to both the whitelist and HTTPS exceptions doesn't prevent the issue. I guess this should be split off into a new topic (I'll do it here in a bit after I do some more testing). :)

EDIT 3: Forgot to mention, it happens in both Chrome and Firefox (thus far, probably all others). I should probably test Mac.

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
Okay, split this off (couldn't think of a good topic title).

I need to do more testing to see if it's limited to only the WFP driver, or if it happens with the TDI driver as well. Also need to test this issue with Adguard for Mac.

EDIT: Driver doesn't matter, happens with both WFP and TDI.

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
Further testing: it's pretty consistent and easy to reproduce (assuming you have network monitoring tools). :p

@avatar any thoughts about this one? It's very similar to the previous issue like this.

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
I might of found a second and third instance of this happening too with Facebook videos loading inside a Facebook Connect widget, but I can't reproduce it on command (yet). But this issue does indeed exist again, and likely not just for this one website.

@avatar or @vasily_bagirov any luck on reproducing this?

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
Strangely enough, I can't reproduce this anymore on swearnet.com using the latest test build for the BSOD issues. I'll keep trying.

EDIT: Scratch that, I can still reproduce it. Bummer.

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
This issue still exists in the latest test build. When Adguard (UI+service) is running, the issue happens after closing the browser while loading/buffering/watching Swearnet's videos. When Adguard (UI+service) is killed/not running this issue doesn't happen. It's hard to see the connections in NetWorx - it does show up in NetBalancer as "Service Traffic" until AdguardSvc.exe is killed.

Can anyone else look into this and try reproducing it?

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
This issue has been fixed for the next stable version, and it *may* have been a more widespread than thought. I guess it just depends on the site/server.