Adguard stuck on web request. Elapsed time between 1 - 5 minutes with only HTTPS filtering on while everything else is off.

stajyun

Hi,

I've been using adguard for about a year now but only then I decided to ask for technical support regarding the problem I've been having since the first time I use adguard. As per title, adguard seems to randomly taking long time to load web content, no matter what the addresses are, typically around 1 - 5 minutes (see attachment).

My current device setup:
Device: Redmi K30 Pro Zoom Edition
Android Version: 10
ROM: MIUI 12.0.8.0 Stable EU
Rooted with Magisk 20.4 + Edxposed Sandhook

Adguard setup to produce the issue:
1. Content blocking: everything is turned off including the filters
2. DNS filtering, Stealth Mode, Browsing security, Extensions: all disabled
3. App management: only Chrome Beta and Removed Apps are turned on, everything else is turned off
4. Low Level Settings: default setting
5. HTTPS filtering is on. Filtering method: Local VPN

I'm not able to reproduce this issue when:
1. Adguard is turned off
2. Adguard on local proxy mode and must be paired with true VPN apps, as long as not in SOCKS5 mode
3. Everything else is turned on except HTTPS filtering (direct opposite to the setup I mentioned above)

I'd like to submit my "record everything" log but the file is too big to upload here (8mb).

At first I thought the issue has something to do with root and xposed modification or anything, but this also happened to my brother's Samsung Note8 phone without root. I've been using adguard on multiple android devices (Xiaomi Mi Pad 4, Samsung Note8) and the problem still persists.

Quite often I tweaked the low-level settings from time-to-time but apparently nothing seems to works out. Since in the above mentioned setup everything was disabled except HTTPS filtering, it led me to think that HTTPS filtering was the culprit.

Any advice or help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

Last edited:

Chinaski

Quality Assurance
Staff member
Administrator
Hello there!|

Did you try to delete a security certificate from the system store and install it again?

stajyun

Hello there!|

Did you try to delete a security certificate from the system store and install it again?
I deleted the security certificate from the system store. Then I installed it as user certificate, problem persisted. Then I installed magisk module move certificate 1.9 to move the adguard certificate to system store and the issue is still there.

Chinaski

Quality Assurance
Staff member
Administrator
To troubleshoot this issue, we need to get additional logs.

Here's what we need you to do:

1. Collect the debug log as it's explained here;
  2. Remember the exact time when the issue was reproduced, we will need it to find the corresponding records in the log file;
  3. Additionally, capture the system bug report after reproducing the issue. Here's the instruction;
  4. Send both files to devteam@adguard.com or attach files at PM.

stajyun

To troubleshoot this issue, we need to get additional logs.

Here's what we need you to do:

1. Collect the debug log as it's explained here;
  2. Remember the exact time when the issue was reproduced, we will need it to find the corresponding records in the log file;
  3. Additionally, capture the system bug report after reproducing the issue. Here's the instruction;
  4. Send both files to devteam@adguard.com or attach files at PM.
I've just sent an email along with the logs and exact time detail to devteam@adguard.com as requested. My email address is *REMOVED*. Hopefully the issues will be fixed soon. Thank you.

Chinaski

Quality Assurance
Staff member
Administrator
@stajyun

Hello again!
Thanks for the information provided but I can't export the log files.
Could you collect the logs manually, please?

stajyun

I've emailed another one with proper logs, I hope. I reproduced the issues again. Please let me know if anything. Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Chinaski

Quality Assurance
Staff member
Administrator
Hello again!

Looks like that the situation you are faced with is a bug.
I created a task on GitHub, the developers will check the information and give you recommendations.
Thank you for the report!

Chinaski

Quality Assurance
Staff member
Administrator
@stajyun

Hello there!

We tried to repeat your issue, but we never succeeded in doing so.
Could you please update to the Nightly version and record a short clip or something like that with reproducing steps.

stajyun

Hello there, appreciate your reply.

I've been staying at my parents and in-laws house for a few days. Problem is, I was not able to reproduce the issue not matter how many times I tried for so many days (when I was connected to their home WiFi). The same thing is said for my brother when he was using adguard and browsing the Internet while connected to his own home WiFi. All of them are connected to the Internet through an ISP or telco called "Unifi".

As for me, the broadband telco that I use at home through WiFi is called "Maxis". I also tried to duplicate their "Unifi" modem settings that they use onto my router but the problem persists. When connected to my phone mobile data (same Maxis telco), bug still exists.

With that said, I'm convinced that the issue is somewhat related to what telco or ISP that I'm using.

No problem on "Unifi" (even after a few days of using adguard), but problem keeps going on with "Maxis" (which happens in less than 5 minutes after adguard is activated, most of the time). If that's really the case, then I guess the bugs won't be reproducible on your end, since I'm also not able to reproduce them when my device is connected to "Unifi". And, if that's also the case, do you still need the video clip or bug log report as suggested?

Sorry for the long read. Thanks again.