AdGuard takes 100% cpu since Anniversary update

spacey

Looks like the services are sucking up all CPU, especially during online-gaming. Have to disable Adguard until the problem is solved, its blocking the whole computer.

Any ideas anyone?

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
Just wondering, what's the specs of your PC? Antivirus/Antimalware software?

Also, you might want to try either a) uninstalling Adguard and all settings (backup your user filter first!) and reinstalling it, b) if using antivirus/antimalware (e.g. Windows Defender, Norton, McAfee, Kaspersky, NOD32, Avast, AVG, etc.), add Adguard and it's files/directory as exclusions to real time scanning and c) try the latest beta release and see if the issue still occurs.

Adguard shouldn't be using 100% CPU on a multi-core system unless you're using an old PC with only 1 core - and even then it still shouldn't be using 100% CPU.

vasily_bagirov

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I also wonder if the latest beta has the same issue. Just to remind, to install beta version, choose Beta update channel in Adguard settings and go to 'About' screen to check for updates.

spacey

Hey, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately nothing has changed in the last weeks, the cpu is a pretty mid-standard 4 Ghz i5, 16 GB Ram, SSD - not the newest, but definetely not a single core. Clean uninstall/reinstall didnt solve the problem as expected. I sent the logs to support, lets see what they find out. My best bet is the Win10 Anniversary-Update and maybe an interference with windows defender.

Only workaround is a complete deactiviation of the AdGuard-Services.

Edit: I will try the beta, will report later.

TheReal

Same happend me today. My computer suddenly became very slow and I realized AdGuard is taking up 100% of my CPU.

spacey

Beta has the same issues. There is nothing running except the browser, and it takes 98 % CPU Load. I will uninstall AdGuard until I got information from support or here in the forums. Seems to be the only viable way to get rid of this problem.

Blaz

Moderator & Translator
Staff member
Is the WFP driver enabled? If yes, try to disable it and enable it when it is inactive. Probably some incompatibility here.

I guess this is not a laptop?

Synonymous

Reverted to Windows 7 Pro after being patient with versions 8, 8.1, and 10. The latter grew unstable as BSODs occurred more frequently. Imagine a 45 year old (me) diagnosing it as hardware, malware & other red herrings. I worked with AdGuard's support team because the BSODs displayed AdGuard's network driver as the cause. Sent AG's support team my minidump files and they noticed Windows 10 was actually complaining about a 3rd party driver. Unfortunately, I just did not have enough expertise (or time) to track down the culprit but deduction told me if Windows 10 is capable of installing an incompatible driver (which other complain about in online blogs), then it's capable of installing it again even after performing a Win10 PC Reset or the Anniversary Update. No problems after reverting to Windows 7 Pro --my Asus ultra notebook has an Intel i7-4700 w/12GB Ram, Nvidia Geforce 840M card & Samsung 850 Pro 500GB SSD.

Note that I'm also a Microsoft Business 365 Subscriber but no longer using Office 2016 after learning I simply cannot rid myself of OneDrive and can no longer isolate installation of individual apps of the Office 2016 suite; ie, cannot install only Outlook & Word w/o custom C2R deployment configuration which is frankly outside of my expertise. Now I use LibreOffice & eM Mail client. So light and easy and stable. My first PC: Apple II --my first Video game console: Atari 2600. It seems the software industry is now eating itself.

Best of luck to Microsoft and all of their patient customers like me who've been willing to work thru the shortcomings of Win8 which now seems to be akin to an entropic force unraveling into a captive Win10 audience. Windows 9 anyone?

Last edited:

Sparky

Same problem here. Adguard did work without a hitch for a month. After a bigger Windows 10 update and multiple reboots AdguardSvc.exe is sucking CPU time like crazy, slowing web browsing (sending a line in a chat takes 1-2 seconds). Killed the service and everything is fast again, but that's not a solution. The WFP driver is installed, will deinstall and try again.

Sparky

It came just again (with the driver disabled). I have discovered that it is related to Firefox. I had Firefox (or specifically Cyberfox, which has the same source code as Firefox, but is compiled differently) open with 20 tabs. When discovering the high cpu usage of AdguardSvc.exe I have closed all apps and saw that Firefox.exe process was still running after the window has been closed. AdguardSvc was making about 2 MB / sec of reads and writes in task manager. After hard killing the Firefox.exe process the CPU usage of AdguardSvc has stopped. Restarted Firefox, and AdguardSvc was still at 0% after all 20 tabs have loaded.

edit: the strange thing was that during the high CPU usage and 2 MB sec reads/writes of AdguardSvc my router was showing traffic below 1 kb / sec.

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
edit: the strange thing was that during the high CPU usage and 2 MB sec reads/writes of AdguardSvc my router was showing traffic below 1 kb / sec.
The 2MBps IO was between kernel driver and AdguardSvc, it somehow got stuck. I have no idea why though.

Still I need a process dump to find it out.