Adguard turns off by itself

myMoon

Quality Assurance / Support Commando
Staff member
Administrator
@Gagome

No, those settings should be set to true. Keep me in touch, please.

Gagome

I found some relation between "Adguard is ended" to "screen lock automatically after some time of inactivity".
To be more precise:

When I lock the phone pressing the power button Adguard always stays active.
When I let the phone lock automatically after the idle timeout setup in Display settings Adguard is always ended by Android (or crashes; I don't know).

This behaviour is absolutely consistent. I can reproduce it every time I want to.

So, the conclusion is to never let the phone lock itself automatically. I always lock it now pressing the Power button and Adguard never ends.

Is this probably a bug in Android Pie on Nokia 8? Or some kind of interaction caused from Adguard when the phone locks itself?
Is there some workaround possible?

myMoon

Quality Assurance / Support Commando
Staff member
Administrator
@Gagome

Looks like a bug of Android on Nokia mobile devices. If you followed the steps right (added to the exclusion list of battery savers and optimization processes) this shouldn't happen. Please, make sure you switched off battery optimization for AdGuard in the settings.

P.S.
If you install AdGuard on SDcards it may cause such issues (VPN apps works unstable if installed into non-internal devices).

Gagome

I have switched off battery optimizaton for Adguard.
And Adguard is not installed on the SDcard because I don't have any SDcard installed.

It looks like I can only wait for an Android update.

Fox2k11

hello all =)

sorry for raiding an old thread.. but I have the same issue on my Honor 7 with Android 8 even though i done all that has been mentioned in the KB article but Adguard gets still killed by Android I notice dthat my Eset Antivirus also gets killed by Android but it restarts on the spot maybe there is something the AV uses taht Ad does not to get restarted on the spot..

Adguard was even Killed while the device was Rooted and android was told to ignore Adguard but yet no Success in that..

Fox2k11

well my phone has EMUI8 installed I tried "adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.huawei.powergenie" but --> "Failure [not installed for 0]"

the Phone is a Honor 7A (AUM-L29) not Rooted

edit: okay I tried "adb shell pm disable-user com.huawei.powergenie"
and I got a "Package com.huawei.powergenie new state: disabled-user" response do i have to to reboot the phone to make this work? do I have to do that everytime the phone reboots?

Last edited:

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
If it's anything like disabling Android's Doze battery saving feature via adb, you may have to do it every time the device reboots.

EDIT: Yep, looks like it...
This setting would need to be re-applied every time you reboot your device.

Fox2k11

If it's anything like disabling Android's Doze battery saving feature via adb, you may have to do it every time the device reboots.

EDIT: Yep, looks like it...
thanks I will check if this helps or not..

edit:; Adguard still complains about getting kille dby android yet I have put every exempt possible also removed apparently Powergenius

i have no idea how to get rid of Android Doze?

Last edited:

Gagome

Ops; I have solved my problem months ago and I forgot to tell you what the cause was.
The reason why AG was always killed when my phone (Nokia 8) was auto-locked after idle timeout was the app Greenify.
In Greenify AG was set to be auto-hibernated. And Greenify did it every time.
You may wonder why I had configured Greenify to hibernate AG?
I did this for testing purposes on my previous phone a Samsung S6 and because I never really used AG on my Samsung S6 I never removed this setup in Greenify.
When I switched to the Nokia 8 all apps were brought over from the Samsung S6 to the Nokia 8 by Google's migration. My Nokia 8 was then at Android 8 and Greenify didn't work correctly on Android 8. I never bothered to take a closer look to Greenify because I was not using it at that time.
Then I upgraded to Android 9 on my Nokia 8 and Greenify began to work on Android 8 and killed AG every time the phone locked after idle timeout.
It was my mistake that I believed Android 9 is the cause of this behaviour.

I apologize for not telling it earlier.

I have reconfigured Greenify and everything works great again.
AG stays active all the time and does a great job.

Last edited:

Fox2k11

Thanks for your Reply well My Phone has no Greenify since its a Honro Device but it seems I have fixed it on my end here too..

I Issued this in order
Code:
adb shell dumpsys deviceidle disable
adb shell pm disable-user com.huawei.powergenie
adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.huawei.powergenie
and added AG to all the other power saving whitelists the phone offers and ever since AG is not getting kiled so far AG Neither does complain that it is getting killed =)

Dale Klein

After trying every fix and workaround, I was still having this problem. My final solution.....just leave Adguard open, don't close it to run in the background. Works like a charm! BTW, I'm beginning to think using the so-called "battery saver" options on my Android tablet may very well be draining the battery faster than disabling them.

Last edited: