AdGuard UTM style

enr00ted

Hi there,

I have become a very big fan of AdGuard, and I love the Desktop client. However, a question pops up everytime in my head. Have you considered extending your protection as a universal network filtering app/device ? This would be interesting to block the traffic before it reaches my internal LAN.

Recently, Synology has released what I believe will be a major step forward in the home router's market, more than what Asus did with their routers line. Why I am saying this, well because Synology router has almost an Operating System inside, and a platform to develop over, and from a developer standpoint there are tons of possibilities, like saying an AdGuard port. As I can see in your Android client, you've already fiddled with proxy/VPN so this should not be very complicated solution to implement. https://www.synology.com/en-global/products/RT1900ac

Or have some agreements with router providers, like say Asus, to add this like an optional module, or some sort of hardware appliance like http://www.adtrap.com/#athome

If you decide to support Synology router then tomorrow I'll start saving for a big investment, router and Adguard licence :rolleyes:

What are your thoughts on this ?

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
We were thinking about it recently, so you're just in time:)

However, there are some problems with it.

First of all, we should wait for HTTPS filtering support in Android version. With no HTTPS filtering our capabilities is too limited.
The second problem is that we have no experience in hardware. We are pretty good in software development, but hardware is completely different thing.

Currently we're in the very beginning, just thinking about the implementation and weighing risks.

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
One thing you might consider is a Linux/ARM port (surprise, surprise) to leverage low cost hardware like the Raspberry Pi.

There's major issues with the AdTrap, which you can read about on their support forums.

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
One thing you might consider is a Linux/ARM port (surprise, surprise) to leverage low cost hardware like the Raspberry Pi.
The problem with low cost hardware is that you'll never get 1Gbps speed while filtering traffic.

There's major issues with the AdTrap, which you can read about on their support forums.
Yeah, I've read it.

Hardware really scares me. Assembly, delivery (from? where? how much does it cost?), no updates (it is hardware, the one can't simply update it over the air).
To start working on it, I have to be sure in this project.

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
There's always using a NUC with pfSense (FreeBSD) or Debian. :p

Yeah, no updating the hardware, but that's to be expected with such a product. The shipping costs alone would be enough to scare me. Fortunately using Linux/BSD (e.g. Debian or FreeBSD) would help with software updates and distribution. Through firmware updates for the device might be a PITA. Then you'd probably have to hire a hardware designer/engineer and incur the R&D costs developing the hardware AND develop the software at the same time.

The easiest and cheapest way to accomplish this, in my mind, would be a Linux/BSD port of Adguard with a tutorial for advanced users that wish deploy it on a small PC or NUC.

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah, no updating the hardware, but that's to be expected with such a product. The shipping costs alone would be enough to scare me. Fortunately using Linux/BSD (e.g. Debian or FreeBSD) would help with software updates and distribution. Through firmware updates for the device might be a PITA. Then you'd probably have to hire a hardware designer/engineer and incur the R&D costs developing the hardware AND develop the software at the same time.
Or we could find a partner who'll handle the hardware part.

The easiest and cheapest way to accomplish this, in my mind, would be a Linux/BSD port of Adguard with a tutorial for advanced users that wish deploy it on a small PC or NUC.
Indeed, software could be a starting point. But anyway, before doing it, I should be sure that such software has an audience.

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
Looking at that Synology router, it looks like it's running its own flavor of Linux. Huh, I might have to get me one of those later in the year.

Or we could find a partner who'll handle the hardware part.
Huh, yeah, that'd work then. :p

Indeed, software could be a starting point. But anyway, before doing it, I should be sure that such software has an audience.
That's the million dollar question!

Last edited by a moderator:

enr00ted

@Boo well yeah, I really like the Synology router, but it's kind of an investment, and at this stage there are close to none packages developed, only media center/dlna and vpn. I think they will be porting the rest, and more developers will join, but until then I'm not sure. As hardware I think it has pretty good specs (CES award for innovation). If Adguard will consider developing or would establish some kind of agreement with them, and some interesting packages are developed - antivirus, intrusion detection etc. , maybe I'll change my mind :D