Adguard v7 Beta changes needed

ag_bug_finder

Beta Tester
I just installed Adguard 7.0.2578.6431 Beta and played around with it for a few hours.

Two things just didn't sit well with me.

I have included this screenshot:

1. The Support option should be moved to 2nd place, with the Settings option moved to 1st place. This just feels more natural with how programs options are generally set out, and also its better to always place the About option last.

It should actually be this: Settings Support About.

2. I hate how it shows 122.4K rules. This absolutely looks CRAP and unprofessional. Please replace with proper numbers and separators, such as 122,400 rules. This makes it look so much more professional. There should be no need to use that kind of notation in technical products.

I kept the title of this post generic, so that this post can be reused for any more changes required to v7 Beta.

Thanks all.

PS: Adguard is looking good, please keep it up.
I finally love how the main Adguard window can now be maximised.
About time. :)

ag_bug_finder

Beta Tester
I am using Mozilla Firefox Portable 66.0.5 (32 bit) and whenever I run that browser after installing Adguard 7.0.2578.6431 Beta, I keep getting the "Unknown certificate detected" message. I click the message and it says the issue has been fixed, but I run the browser again, and the same issue again happens.

Please look at the video here: https://ufile.io/trgqidaf

PS: The issue does not happen with Google Chrome Portable 74.0.3729.131 (32 bit) and Internet Explorer 11.

Last edited:

Blaz

Moderator & Translator
Staff member
Did you try to reinstall the certificate manually into FireFox portable (has its own certificate storage unlike Chrome)?

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
You have to use the reinstall certificate button in AG itself, but it may not work. Looks like Mozilla changed something in regards to certificates, making manually importing the certificate not work anymore.

ag_bug_finder

Beta Tester
You have to use the reinstall certificate button in AG itself, but it may not work. Looks like Mozilla changed something in regards to certificates, making manually importing the certificate not work anymore.
Perhaps so, but Adguard still needs to work around this and get the issue fixed.

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
Okay, I did some checking and poking and got the manual certificate import working in the portable version of Firefox (Firefox 67).

1) In Firefox's Options you need to go to the Privacy & Security section and scroll down to the bottom.

2) Click the View Certificates... button.

3) In the Authorities section, click the Import... button...

4) In the dialog that opens, navigate to C:\ProgramData\Adguard\SSL (or copy/paste it into the address bar of the dialog) and select Adguard Personal CA and press the Open button...

5) When the box pops up, check both of the trust boxes (This certificate can identify websites and This certificate can identify mail users) and press OK. Then press the second OK button for the Certificate Manager.

6) Close and re-open Firefox and it *should* work.

ag_bug_finder

Beta Tester
I did try this earlier a few days ago, but I did this again now, and it does indeed now work.

Perhaps it was the update to Firefox 67 that fixed this issue on their side?

Whatever it was, this has indeed done the trick.

Thanks Boo Berry.

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
However, I did notice one issue with the portable version of Firefox... you can't remove AG's certificate. You can try, exit the browser and reopen it, but it's always back. That's probably a bug. @TheHasagi this might need reported.

ag_bug_finder

Beta Tester
However, I did notice one issue with the portable version of Firefox... you can't remove AG's certificate. You can try, exit the browser and reopen it, but it's always back.
Yes, I found that also.
This way, there are multiple instances of the certificate stored there.

ag_bug_finder

Beta Tester
How do you add another application (or add an exe) you want to filter?

Looked everywhere in the latest beta....but cannot find that option anywhere...

ag_bug_finder

Beta Tester
What is the Adguard Extra about?

How does it work?

Will that mean that all Adguard bypasses rules can be removed now or one day in the future?

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
In some complicated cases the usual approach with filtering rules just doesn’t work. In particular, in some cases of ad blocker circumvention/ad reinjection. So we came up with an alternative solution — a userscript. For those unfamiliar, userscripts are basically mini programs that modify web pages and augment browsing.

AdGuard Extra does it in a way that makes it harder for websites to employ the circumvention/reinjection techniques. AdGuard for Windows is the second AdGuard product to get this addition, we are thrilled to see it in action and read your feedback on it.
It's explained above. It'll kinda be like the old "Anti-Adblock Killer" userscript however right now it only applies to one website (which it'll include others as time passes). And that example website where it "kicks in" right now is Facebook feeds.

P.S. AdGuard browser extension users can also use the AdGuard Extra userscript in Tampermonkey with the experimental setting Inject Mode set to Instant.

karimkarim

It's explained above. It'll kinda be like the old "Anti-Adblock Killer" userscript however right now it only applies to one website (which it'll include others as time passes). And that example website where it "kicks in" right now is Facebook feeds.

P.S. AdGuard browser extension users can also use the AdGuard Extra userscript in Tampermonkey with the experimental setting Inject Mode set to Instant.
Perhaps so, but Adguard still needs to work around this and get the issue fixed.Perhaps so, but Adguard still needs to work around this and get the issue fixed.

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
Like I posted above, rules dealing with Anti-Adblock messages and scripts are in the Annoyances filter, along with the AdGuard Extra extension that's available in AG for Windows and Mac (and Android in the latest nightly build).