AdGuard VPN and Backblaze

AaronA1975

When I have an AdGuard VPN tunnel active, my Backblaze backup will pause itself repeatedly with one of two errors, either that my computer is offline or Backblaze is performing maintenance. If I stop the tunnel, the backup runs without issue. I have Backblaze added to the Split Tunneling preference to attempt to prevent it from using the tunnel, but that doesn't appear to work. Is there a way to keep Backblaze from using the tunnel?

Alexey Kulagin

Support
Staff member
Administrator
When I have an AdGuard VPN tunnel active, my Backblaze backup will pause itself repeatedly with one of two errors, either that my computer is offline or Backblaze is performing maintenance. If I stop the tunnel, the backup runs without issue. I have Backblaze added to the Split Tunneling preference to attempt to prevent it from using the tunnel, but that doesn't appear to work. Is there a way to keep Backblaze from using the tunnel?
Hello!
Split tunnelling actually works fine! Please specify, how did you figure it doesn't work?
Do you use the Backblaze client or a website?

AaronA1975

I use the client. I made a deduction the tunnel was the problem because when the VPN is enabled (with split-tunneling for the app enabled), the backup constantly stops. It backups up a bit and then gives me the errors in the original post. When the tunnel is disabled, the backup runs with no problem. That would seem to indicate that some aspect of the app isn't being properly split tunneled.

AaronA1975

Are you using an Intel or M1-based Mac? I have two, and I noticed on my Intel Mac, Backblaze works correctly as you've observed, but on my M1 Mac, I'm having the problem. Not sure why that would make a difference, but I'm attempting to troubleshoot. :)