AdGuard VPN protocols

Ihor Khomenko

Hello, Aguard Team.
I have been using Adguard products for some time, i have a lifetime premium for the iOS app (i am a beta-tester also) and recently i decided to give a try to AdGuard VPN because it has great compatibility with Adguard DNS protection.

I have few questions about protocols.
I see that IPSec protocol is used in the Integrated mode with Adguard ad blocker. What kind of IPSec is this? IPSec or IPSEC/ikev2?
What kind of your own protocol is used in General mode? Is this based on OpenVPN, WireGuard or what? Cannot find any details on it.

Are you planning to add industry standard protocols to your VPN service in the future? OpenVPN, ikev2, WireGuard without any modifications?

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
There's a blog post on the AdGuard VPN protocol that AdGuard VPN uses.

FionaWilson

The speed of your Internet connection depends a lot on the type of VPN provider you have.
I also wanted to say that I am sure that in most cases, free VPN providers offer limited bandwidth, which leads to slower Internet connections. Also, a crowded VPN server cannot provide a high-speed Internet connection. Also, a crowded VPN server cannot provide a high-speed Internet connection. For example, if 100 people use a server at 1,000 Mbps, you can't expect Internet connection speeds above 10 Mbps. Other factors that determine the difference between free and paid VPN service providers, Number of VPN servers available, Location of VPN servers .Therefore, I would advise you to check out CyberGhost reviews.

Last edited:

Bruno

The speed of your Internet connection depends a lot on the type of VPN provider you have.
Indeed, however there is a huge difference between VPN providers.

I tried all VPN providers that proposed free trial and I paid for PerfectPrivacy, ExpressVPN, NordVPN and Windscribe.
The speed results go from 20Mb to 450Mb, with an average around 120MB in Wi-Fi (without VPN I get 500Mb and above).
The fastest I use today is Windscribe with IKEv2 protocol that gives me the fastest speed. Unfortunately AG VPN was less than 100Mb.

FYI my Wi-Fi tests have been made with the following configuration:
- ISP 1GB speed on optical fiber
- Airport Extreme 6gen 5Ghz
- iPhone 11 Pro Max 5Ghz

Direct LAN connection without VPN is around 980Mb and with VPN I get the same speed.
Today I am very impress with Windscribe speed which is the fastest I could find.

mjeshurun

I'm interested if the unique Adguard VPN protocol will eventually be used also for the Integrated mode? (instead of IPSec)
If the Adguard VPN protocol is indeed faster and more secure, why not use that protocol when working in conjunction with the Adguard DNS adblocker?
Wasn't that the point of creating an in-house VPN service, so that both services will compliment each other?