Ads all over the place

insideout

Hi guys,

So I've setup the AdGuard Home on my raspbery pi. I've tried pihole that was working ok but since I made a fresh install I thought I'd like to go with adguard. But I guess I've got something wrong since I've got ads showing all over the place.

The dashboard indicates that things are blocked. But when I try visit like speedtest then nothing is really blocked. I've flushed the dns, but I don't really know how to go on from here - any one have a recommendation?

Even if I try to block certain sites like Instagram I can enter the page anyway. And yes, I've put my DNS to point to the Pi's IP.
1634107099805.png1634107129100.png

Blaz

Moderator & Translator
Staff member
DNS cannot hide elements, you need Extension for hiding ads.

How did you try to block Instagram exactly?

Blaz

Moderator & Translator
Staff member
It is blocking ads, but when the ad picture is hosted on the same page, DNS (AdGuard Home) cannot block it.

Element hiding can hide those ads. When the website would be added to AdGuard home to block the ads, the site itself does not work too.

insideout

It is blocking ads, but when the ad picture is hosted on the same page, DNS (AdGuard Home) cannot block it.

Element hiding can hide those ads. When the website would be added to AdGuard home to block the ads, the site itself does not work too.
ok - thank you for educating answer!

insideout

any idea why instagram is not blocked even when turned on?

Blaz

Moderator & Translator
Staff member
Maybe IPv6 is still pointing to router or maybe DNS cache.

Try running ipconfig /flushdns as a windows command.

insideout

Maybe IPv6 is still pointing to router or maybe DNS cache.

Try running ipconfig /flushdns as a windows command.
Nope - I unchecked the IPv6 and did the flush, but can still just try to block certain sites but then just go to them as normal...strange...pointing the computer to the pi and I see that things obviously are getting blocked...

1634132255112.png1634132286119.png1634132356608.png1634132411924.png

could it be something with the router that needs to be configured? any idea?

Blaz

Moderator & Translator
Staff member
If you add a manual rule like ||instagram.com^ to AdGuard Home, is it working when you try to visit instagram?

@Chinaski please check, thank you.

Blaz

Moderator & Translator
Staff member
Please enter the command ipconfig /all (in cmd.exe) and post the DNS addresses, thank you.