Ads not being blocked on Android 12 Beta 4 (SPB4.210715.011) released today

Most of us use AdGuard with a VPN (you'll know by the little key in your notification bar). If that's the case for you, then it won't work. Neither will any of the other ad blockers out there that function via a VPN connection. There are other options, though. The local HTTP proxy option for AdGuard will work, though unless you want to root your phone, it only works on WiFi, it's a little complicated to set up, and you constantly have to set it up every time you leave or access a certain WiFi (it has to be set up by specific WiFi). There's also using AdGuard as your DNS for your phone, though you can't tailor it the same way you can if you use the app. This is the option I'm currently using, though I'm bugging Google to fix the VPN problem so I can go back to using the app.
I'm confused now. I don't have the VPN downloaded/installed, so why isn't ad blocking working? What am I missing?
1629413504592.png

F4LL0U7

Beta Tester
Bobby, it doesn't seem like you should be testing the beta version of Android.

You do not need to share screenshots. AdGuard works by running your web traffic through a local VPN. All VPNs, even local ones, are broken on Android 12 beta 4.

You can change your phone's DNS to AdGuard's server. That's the option I'm using now as well. This is what comes with the territory when we are beta testers.

nolefan32

I'm confused now. I don't have the VPN downloaded/installed, so why isn't ad blocking working? What am I missing?
View attachment 21095
AdGuard works by creating a local VPN (in most cases). That's how it's set up on your phone. If you look up in the right-hand corner of the screenshot you posted, the first icon is a key. That's AdGuard's local VPN at work, and that's the fly in the ointment. And I get your confusion -AdGuard also offers a full VPN option (which is what's in the menu) for those who want more than just ad blocking, they also want the privacy and security offered by a full virtual private network. But you still have a scaled-back VPN working on your phone, to make the ad block work. Except because Google broke VPNs across the board, it doesn't work. And it's all Google's fault. There are Google customers who have Google's own VPN service that are mad as hornets because even that isn't working since beta 4.

Bobby, it doesn't seem like you should be testing the beta version of Android.

You do not need to share screenshots. AdGuard works by running your web traffic through a local VPN. All VPNs, even local ones, are broken on Android 12 beta 4.

You can change your phone's DNS to AdGuard's server. That's the option I'm using now as well. This is what comes with the territory when we are beta testers.
I'll just wait for a fix. I don't want to go messing around with settings. I've used all betas for Android since the first one for Android 10. Android 12 Beta 4 is the last, and is considered stable. What Beta 4 is now will be the final release with minor details done, but it should work the exact same way as Beta 4. So Google has to fix it, or the final stable release will also be broken.

Mugz

Hi there everyone. For me latest update - beta 4.1 - doesn't completely solved the problem. It seems I don't have ads in my web browser but I definitely still have some in-apps ads. Is it just me?

Hi there everyone. For me latest update - beta 4.1 - doesn't completely solved the problem. It seems I don't have ads in my web browser but I definitely still have some in-apps ads. Is it just me?
Update all AdGuard filters/settings. Open AdGuard, and press the "check for updates" circle in the upper right corner opposite of the menu and where it says AdGuard. Also check your license status in the menu. Basic AdGuard blocks in browsers, but you need a license to block in apps. Mine is blocking everywhere, so it may be your license.

Mugz

Thanks for the support, unfortunately it doesn't change anything even though I have a lifetime licence.
Also tried to unconnect - reconnect to my licence, uninstall - reinstall the app, change settings and DNS, ...nope, still have the in-apps ads ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks for the support, unfortunately it doesn't change anything even though I have a lifetime licence.
Also tried to unconnect - reconnect to my licence, uninstall - reinstall the app, change settings and DNS, ...nope, still have the in-apps ads ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The only thing I can think of since you said it's working in browsers is the check to see if the option to filter all apps somehow got turned off. Did you check here?
1630033745702.png

Mugz

I forgot to mention it but yeah, I checked that one as well. Hopefully, if it's just me it's probably related to somme specific settings on my phone and it will be settled with final release, or worst case scenario, a reset

Here's the app if you wanna give it a try :
Independently from my problem, it's also good for your health :D

I don't have a lot of apps with in-app ads, but it seems on 9gag I don't have any issue and Adguard do the job...

Edit : I added my settings files if someone wants to give a look.
Just replace the txt extension to json because the forum didn't allow to upload json.

Attachments

Last edited:
I forgot to mention it but yeah, I checked that one as well. Hopefully, if it's just me it's probably related to somme specific settings on my phone and it will be settled with final release, or worst case scenario, a reset

Here's the app if you wanna give it a try :
Independently from my problem, it's also good for your health :D

I don't have a lot of apps with in-app ads, but it seems on 9gag I don't have any issue and Adguard do the job...

Edit : I added my settings files if someone wants to give a look.
Just replace the txt extension to json because the forum didn't allow to upload json.
It must be your settings somewhere. I tried the app for a bit, and no ads for me. I didn't look at your settings yet.

What I don't understand is, it worked perfectly before the Android 12 upgrade and I didn't made any change in my settings. I'll see with next releases..

I also opened an issue ticket on Github : https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdguardFilters/issues/92647

Thanks again for checking!
I don't really know what to compare with in the settings file, but I know my settings block everywhere, so if you want to try mine you can. Like you said just change txt to json before importing. It's only the settings file with no license info, so you should be able to just import it.

Attachments

Mugz

Nope! But there's a saying, night and sleep help find solution.

Instead of trying to change adguard's settings, I deleted and reinstalled the stretching app. Works perfectly fine, hope it'll keep that way!

Thanks again for your time :)