AG - 6.4, 7.1, 7.2

actually

Hello,

Is there a way for me to go from AG 7.1 to AG 6.4?
Too many problems with 7.1, none of this happened in 6.4:
Every second about 80 MB is Read, loading Youtube takes 8 seconds with AG, and 3 seconds without AG. That is all AG in I/O. Only AGBaseFilter is enabled, no other features.

I do not know how relevant that image is, but i remember AG was never like this on 6.4.

Is there an option to go 6.4?

Chinaski

Support Marine
Staff member
Administrator
@actually
Hello there!
1) You always can use the previous version. Here is the link for 6.4. But we cannot guarantee that an outdated version will block all ads.
(Do not forget to turn off the automatic update of the application)
2) In order to find a solution to your problem, we will need logs
To do this, you need to enable a detailed logging level and reproduce your problems. After you export the logs and send me a PM.
Or on support@adguard.com with a link to this forum.
Thank you for contacting us!

actually

Update: I decided to go from 7.1 to 6.4, here are my results on 6.4:
  • Everything works, good browsing speed especially noticable with multiple tabs loading in background.
  • Heavy websites with lots of content are more responsive. Websites which utilise infinite scroll are more reliable now, before infinite scroll did not work or partially worked.
  • No losing connection on live services like Twitch Chat when filters update.
  • AdguardSvc.exe is no longer visible reading lots of data in Process Explorer, i do not know if this matters though.
  • Blocking ads is working fine and filters are updating every 60 minutes, for 6 filters.

Uninstalled 7.1, restarted computer, installed 6.4, disabled automatic application updates, refreshed license.

We all have different browser, OS, computer, so results will vary.

Last edited:

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
In my opinion, simply downgrading to 6.4 isn't a solution. The solution would be to figure out why 7.1 has those issues and fix them. The problem is, the developers likely can't reproduce some of those issues, so they'll have trouble fixing them.

Also in my opinion, the 'issue' with filter updates causing loss of connection is a major one and really should be addressed (from what I was told, it *was* supposed to be fixed in 7.1 for Firefox but I guess it still happens for some others). That one alone is very important, again, in my opinion. The browsing speed is also a little concerning, along with the AdguardSvc.exe thing.

I hate to ask (assuming it's been asked before) but are you using any antivirus/antimalware software? Because to me that's the one thing that comes to mind that could cause issues like that, antivirus/antimalware application incompatibilities.

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Every second about 80 MB is Read, loading Youtube takes 8 seconds with AG, and 3 seconds without AG. That is all AG in I/O. Only AGBaseFilter is enabled, no other features.
This is very wrong indeed, and I don't observe this behavior on our test computers.

Also, A LOT of different issues were solved in v7.2 that is currently in the nightly update channel.
I'd be grateful if you could spare some time to help us figure out what's this issue is about, and try this version. I can take a look through AnyDesk, maybe I'll be able to quickly figure what's wrong.

actually

When i have time to test later, i will try 7.1 beta and nightly.

@Boo Berry Yes i agree about it not being a solution. About the incompatibilities, - i do not use 'live scanning' anti virus/malware, but Free Malwarebytes which can only do a manual scan, the entire application runs only when executed - it does not run in the background. So i guess it will not be causing an issue.

@avatar I will try it and update here.

Windows 7 64
Firefox 68.0.2 64

actually

Hello, below is an update regarding - AG 7.2.2903 NIGHTLY - (CL 1.4.155)

• Regarding browsing speed. It is fast and feels lightweight. The high consumption of CPU and I/O is not present anymore. You can see how much more snappier AG is working, and how there is no I/O consumption by looking at image. Compare CPU and I/O with image in post 1. AG had 6 ad filters enabled and no other features enabled.
3 sites.png

• Regarding live functions losing connection when a filter is updated, such as Twitch Chat, Youtube Live Chat. This problem remains.

• Regarding website functions loading after the initial loading is done, for example infinite scroll. This is a problem on some sites like Bing images, but not a problem on other websites like Google Images or asos.com. This happens on Bing Images, but not Google Images. Another website to test is https://infinite-scroll.com/demo/full-page/ . - All content loads fine.
evo ix.png

• The performance is very good, actually, it is faster than 6.4, very light and snappy.
  • Issue with Bing Images remain. But Google Image, asos.com, Youtube all work fine.
  • Issue with live functions remain, like Twitch Chat, customer support chat.

These are just my findings.

Windows 7 64
Firefox 68.0.2 64
AdGuard 7.2.2903 NIGHTLY - (CL 1.4.155)

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
I'll see if I can reproduce the issue on Twitch and YouTube chats, along with the infinite scroll on Bing images and I'll report back.

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
I can confirm the Twitch Chat issue. It won't happen unless there's a filter that needs updated, if all filters are up-to-date it won't happen. That said, I can make it happen by adding a new filter and it'll disconnect and reconnect Twitch Chat, so I can confirm that.

Couldn't get it to happen in YouTube Chat yet. Still working on that.

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thank you for testing it!

Regarding losing connection

• Regarding live functions losing connection when a filter is updated, such as Twitch Chat, Youtube Live Chat. This problem remains.
Hmhm, we'll look into it one more time. Summoning @kavabanga to this thread:)

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
I can't get the Bing images issue to happen, it loads up images (I even used the search link for the evo ix in the screenshot above) and it works.

The *only* thing I did before testing it was I cleared the browser cache. But I can definitely confirm the Twitch Chat issue.

actually

Okay today what i found with the Bing Images issue is this:
  • In a Firefox private window images some of the time display. The image in post 7 is a private window.
  • In a Firefox standard window images always display.

Another good thing i noticed was how fast filters update when manually checked. On 7.1 it took 10 seconds, on 7.2 it takes 3 seconds. - Something little but good.

I have been using 7.2.2903 today and it is lightest/efficient AG i have used.

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
Hmm, still can't reproduce it in a private window.

But...

That said, it might've given me a clue and an idea what's going on now. When using private windows in Firefox, it uses Firefox's content blocking feature. If you go into Firefox's settings > Privacy & Security section you'll see options like this:

Take a look there and see what settings you're using. I'd be very interested to know what settings you're using here. :)

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
There's a new AG for Windows nightly build out, and I can't reproduce the Twitch chat disconnection anymore with Firefox.

actually

It is fixed for me too. With this resolved everything is working for me.

@Boo Berry In my Firefox options i have it set to custom and have no boxes ticked, and no extensions installed. But i can not reproduce the Bing Image issue any more, so good news.