AG Blocking Internet on Cellular Data

Mark in VA

A few days ago, upgraded Ad Guard to latest (v3.6.7). Afterward, all apps using data began to report no internet connection. After trying airplane mode to reconnect, and then reboot, nothing changed. Turned off Ad Guard and apps all worked again. Confirmed going back and for on and off blocked or allowed, respectively. Also confirmed apps configured to by-pass Ad Guard worked.

Further discovered that connections on WiFi continued to work with Ad Guard on. As long as I was on WiFi, everything behaved as expected. Turn off WiFi, and Ad Guard blocked. So only happens on cellular data.

Did a full network reset for cellular, bluetooth, and WiFi. Had to recreate the local VPN for Ad Guard. Afterward, all traffic still blocked for cellular when Ad Guard on. Ad Guard off, all good. Ad Guard on but using WiFi, still all good.

Mark in VA

In case anyone has the same issue, I finally isolated it to using the "System Default" DNS servers. I don't know if this was a change that the latest version made, a wild coincidence that my cellular provider's DNS stopped working with Ad Guard, or something else. I changed it to use Google and then OpenDNS, which I use for my home internet service, and both of them worked.

Bax

I'm having the same issue with a Samsung S21 Ultra. I've turned off and on Private DNS servers to no avail. On top of that I just switched from T-Mobile to Consumer Cellular and can't get the 5G to work at all. Spent hours on the phone with CC. Thought the internet problem was part of that problem as well. Took a while to realize it was AG. As long as I leave AG off when on CC mobile network then the 4G network will work but stops as soon as I turn on AG. Very frustrating.

EvilPeppard

Good morning,

My wife and I experience this issue as well. The main problem we find is when we leave home and our phones switch from our home WiFi to cellular data we 'lose internet'. The only thing that seems to resolve the issue for us is to reboot our phones while we are out and about, then Internet access resumes. Trying to update AdGuard Filters doesn't work because our phones don't think we have Internet. Therefore the filters will not update until we reboot.

I have tried just turning off Adguard while we are out to see if Internet comes back on cellular data, but that doesn't seem to work either. Only rebooting while away from our Wifi fixes the issue. Perhaps I didn't leave AdGuard off long enough, but you would think it would work within a minute or two, if it was going to at all.

When we come back home and reconnect to WiFi, that is seamless; we continue to have Internet access. It only seems to happen when we transition from Wifi to cellular data.

After reading similar behavior reported here, I will try some of the 'fixes' next time, including changing the AdGuard DNS Filtering from 'System Default' under Select DNS Server in the AdGuard app, to either Adguard DNS or Google DNS, and see if that helps.

For reference, I am using a Samsung S21 Ultra and my wife has a Samsung S20 Ultra.

I will report back my findings as they become available. Thank you for everyone's input on this issue.

EvilPeppard

UPDATE 6/23/2022:

My wife just left the house for an errand. She 'lost data' after leaving our Wifi. However, she opened the AdGuard app, turned AdGuard Protection off, then back on, and her data resumed on cellular. I had her do a couple tests to verify data was, in fact, working over cellular, and it was.

Hope this info helps others.

bonnitdo

Just came here literally to thank you, mine was also set to default, I'm on Voxi (Vodafone) so this tweak worked great, I wonder if like OP this was changed in an update?