AIM Problem when adding facebook/GoogleTalk (Hangout)

Discussion in 'Discussion (AdGuard for Windows)' started by steve1209, Apr 13, 2014.

1. steve1209

steve1209 Beta Tester

Hi All,

I know Adguard 5.9 is not known to work yet with AIM but it has been taking care of AD's, today I added Facebook connection & Google Talk (Hangout) to AIM and when AIM started tonight I got this error on Lifestream AIM, http://screencast.com/t/lVFaNXL9b4G Guess I need to wait for V6

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2014
  2. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Moderator + Beta Tester Moderator

Eeep, yeah. There's two possible workarounds for this; 1) You can try disabling the Adguard Assistant and this *may* go away or 2) you can try adding this rule to your user filter but it has the potential to break ad blocking in AIM, not sure (it *shouldn't*)...

Code:
    @@||aolcdn.com$jsinject
    This should disable script injection on that domain meaning the Assistant won't be injected. Hopefully it doesn't also interfere with blocking the ads, but I'm thinking it *shouldn't*. Also encountering this actually brings up an interesting idea too regarding the Assistant/userscripts and non-browser applications.

EDIT: Post edited, rule refined!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2014
  3. steve1209

steve1209 Beta Tester

Hi Boo Berry,

I'm 100% NEW here BUT thank you so much for your help, so I think I did what you requested the error remains the same is this correct? http://screencast.com/t/QndVlT3yimd6 *IF* it's correct the error is exactly the same...I don't know how to disable adguard assistant! I don't know how to remove one variable at a time as you suggested either

4. Boo Berry

You need to double click on an empty line (below the last filter if there's any listed) of the user filters to add a new one. Try the refined rule I posted above. Hopefully Adguard v6 has add/remove/edit buttons so maintaining user filters are easier. :)

5. steve1209

steve1209 Beta Tester

6. Boo Berry

Like this. That bar where you're placing the rule is just the search bar - it doesn't add/remove/edit any filter rules. Just double click on the empty line with a checkbox to edit it (paste the rule in) then press enter. The area below the rule in the screenshot with the unchecked box is the empty line mentioned.

[​IMG]

7. steve1209

steve1209 Beta Tester

Hi Boo Berry,

Thanks much for the help, I got it installed and it seems to be working on AIM now, here is my user filter now screenshot

Somehow I got another rule in User Filter, I unchecked enabled, it there a way to deleted unwanted user filter entries?

8. Nameless

Nameless Beta Tester

left click unwanted filter and choose "Delete the rule" or select the filter and press "Del" on your keyboard

9. steve1209

steve1209 Beta Tester

Thanks Nameless for the help, that worked

10. steve1209

steve1209 Beta Tester

Hi All,

I'm not sure why, the problem is back screenshot
    Boo Berry's user filter is still in place and was working perfectly for a couple of days screenshot

Any other idea's?

11. Boo Berry

Okay, let's try this - make sure AIM is exited. If you can delete that existing rule, do so, and add this as a new rule. Keep in mind there's a chance this new rule could break blocking of ads if AIM uses aolcdn.com as a ads domain.

Code:
    aolcdn.com$elemhide,content,urlblock,jsinject
    After that, start AIM up and try again. If it doesn't work, it could be considered an incompatibility which will have to be addressed in v6 when applications (and application-specific rules) are supported officially.

12. steve1209

steve1209 Beta Tester

Hi Boo Berry,

Exited AIM, removed old user filter, installed your new proposed filter, same problem, here is the new filter installed screenshot BTW the Ad's are still being removed just fine! Again, thank you for the help!

13. Boo Berry

Whoops, messed that filter up (shouldn't make 'em when half-asleep!). :p Here's the proper one...

Code:
    @@||aolcdn.com$elemhide,content,urlblock,jsinject

14. steve1209

steve1209 Beta Tester

Hey Boo Berry,

The NEW user filter works and AIM Ad's are still removed, wow Thanks so much for keep working on this problem, I REALLY appreciate it!!