Android battery saver kills adguard..

Blaz

Moderator & Translator
Staff member
Looks like Samsung specific. On Pixel 6 Pro (Android 12) I can set the battery usage as I want (Unrestricted/Optimised/Restricted).

TimTheFirst

All my battery saver settings are off as far as i know and these have been excluded. Also this is new behaviour.. i thunk Android 12 is eventually coming to the S20 devices...

d0x

Go to device care>battery then disable everything.

It should look like this....

Screenshot_20211122-231445_Device care.jpgScreenshot_20211122-231433_Device care.jpg

There's also a good guide if you search "stop Samsung battery" . It will come up.

TimTheFirst

Yes, I've read that too, as i said in post, everything was disabled and still happened. Not fond of killing all that as in a heavy user and battery lasts much longer if i limit apps i never use anyway...

TimTheFirst

What i can't work out is why that "allow background activity" is now greyed out! That is new and probably since the last Android update... the same thing with the Adguard VPN app

d0x

Yes, I've read that too, as i said in post, everything was disabled and still happened. Not fond of killing all that as in a heavy user and battery lasts much longer if i limit apps i never use anyway...
Yes well I've heard many people say they have disabled EVERYTHING that Samsung adds to androids general battery management but then it turns out they missed stuff. Often a couple things. So I HIGHLY suggest you check the guide again.... What can it possibly hurt to double check your settings against the linked guide below?

Don't Kill My Apps (Samsung Guide)

What i can't work out is why that "allow background activity" is now greyed out! That is new and probably since the last Android update... the same thing with the Adguard VPN app
It's automatically greyed out on several apps and services. Say ty Samsung. It's definitely not new, I've noticed it since the note 8. Of course if you follow the guide it won't matter.

I also HIGHLY recommend using package disabler pro and debloating your phone. Worth every small penny

TimTheFirst

Thank you for all your words of advice! What a lovely bunch of people!
That disabler sounds good, lots of bloat on these phones.. I'll def have a look at that too! Thanks guys!

Reactions: d0x

d0x

Anytime. Allot of us come here for help and to help, it's a good community and the official Adguard team is fantastic.

I had some truly crazy issue a couple years ago and eventually I ended up talking to the lead developer and he sent me custom builds of the Android app to try and fix the issue...and he did.

That's above and beyond if you ask me. It's also why I tell literally everyone I know about Adguard and also post about it constantly on Android articles, online privacy or security articles etc etc.

I wish I knew how many licenses I've sold. I know of at least 17 people that bought lifetime license's and some of those 17 bought multiple so they could install it on their family members phones.

TimTheFirst

Good for you my friend! The best advertisement is world of mouth, if you're happy, tell everyone, if you're not, tell the devs. I love adguard prime, it's reliable and does it's job. I also have the adguard VPN and I'm having lots of issues unfortunately. The devs are doing what they can but just can't fix it. They sent me the Alpha build but it's still broken... Nord is looking more attractive every day I'm sad to say..
It's good to help people online, i was in a couple of Android forums and it was always nice to get feedback that the issue was resolved... keep up the good work mate and have a great Xmas!

d0x

I'm a 2 year Nord user myself. They are alright. Good speeds and lots of servers but their content function, the one that allows you to watch different regions Netflix and stuff can be very unreliable.

I only used the Adguard VPN a couple times to check it out. It's nice to be able to use Adguard to its fullest ability while using a VPN.

Nord doesn't really do AdBlock and all the trackers and websites you use without a VPN will know who you are because of cookies and your browser fingerprint and the bigger analytics companies can still track you browsing activities.

I got fairly close speeds on Adguards VPN as I do on Nord. I'm on a Gigabit connection connected directly to a Comcast network hub and I get about 300Mbps from Adguard and 400-500 from Nord. The only thing I've ever seen be able to use all my bandwidth is Usenet through Giganews. The next closest is Xbox Live, I get about 700Mbps.

What kinda issues are you having using Adguard VPN? It's still pretty new all things considered.
Takes time to build out your own network of servers. If you rent servers then it's not really a fully secure VPN. So I'd suggest if you do use Nord or another VPN that you don't commit or pay for more than a year. I'd imagine that a year from now Adguard VPN will probably meet your needs and have your issue fixed. So you would be able to have a VPN and Adguard at the same time.

TimTheFirst

Thanks mate, i really like these guys and would like to stay with them. The ad blocker is great, the VPN disconnects when network changes, wifi drops out of range or i change to mobile data. The bit that annoys me is instead of restarting, reconnecting or finding another server, it just sits there and says network lost! That really pisses me off. They need an auto reconnect and a kill switch for this app to be any use. I get data leak when this happens. The other thing is, if i change some setting on the adblocker, it comes up with always on vpn can't connect which in turn disconnects the VPN which doesn't reconnect so i have to manually connect it all again (leaking data all the while...)...

I heard adguard doesn't play with other VPN apps, so I'm hesitant to commit to Nord in case they don't work together.. i did have Nord account for my router but mrs Tim couldn't get any internet in her iCrap and was getting rather grumpy...

d0x

I can tell you that at least part of the problems you are having is because of the way Android works and the way an app can interact with another.

Like if you change a setting in Adguard and then the VPN disconnects but doesn't reconnect is because the Adguard app isn't allowed to re-enable it because it's a separate app.

Some of that you could probably handle with tasker or something like it but it would be best if it was just handled by Adguard. So I definitely understand the frustration.

I'm surprised that it doesn't auto reconnect when connection changes. That should be easy enough for the app to do with a auto reconnect setting.

You have me intrigued now.. I'm gonna download it and play with it for a couple days.

What phone do you have if you don't mind me asking? Also is it rooted or anything like that?

TimTheFirst

Yes , I'm convinced it's Android doing some mischief, but auto reconnect is a basic expectation with a VPN in my books.
I have galaxy S21+ unlocked, not rooted with the Exynos chip, but the same goes on with the S8 as well.
The devs sent me the alpha release and it's exactly the same... still no joy. I've been begging for auto reconnect and kill switch since the beginning...