Android TV

Discussion in 'Discussion (AdGuard for Android)' started by Innuendo, Oct 16, 2015.

1. Innuendo

Innuendo Beta Tester

Before I go off experimenting, I thought maybe I better ask in case someone already knows. Has anyone tried installing AdGuard on an Android TV device like the Google Nexus Player?

2. avatar

avatar Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Heh, good question, we have not tried it.

3. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Beta Tester

Take this for what it's worth, but I was able to sideload it onto my NVIDIA Shield Android TV and even register it with one of my license keys. However, it caused a problem where any download over 2 GB in size, such as content files for games like Half-Life 2 and Portal, would time out at the 2 GB mark. Didn't matter what I was downloading, it would just stop at 2 GB. Soon as I removed Adguard, everything went back to normal. Because of this, I didn't really test the program that much.

It'd be nice to get a proper Android TV version if for no other reason than to block Youtube ads.

4. avatar

5. avatar

Could you please check the latest beta version (2.1.248)?

We have fixed this 2Gb problem.

6. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Beta Tester

Download problem appears to be fixed, but ads are still getting through on the in box Youtube application.

As an aside, I'm going to be moving soon so I won't be able to test any new release/beta versions for some weeks.

7. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Moderator + Beta Tester Moderator

The YouTube app on Android uses HTTPS to serve ads, which Adguard for Android doesn't support yet. The dev team is working on HTTPS support, so ads are to be expected right now.

Glad the download issue is fixed though! :D

8. avatar

9. Daddy

Daddy Member

android
    че мешает скачать с сайта и установить

---------- Post added at 05:27 ---------- Previous post was at 05:24 ----------

у мегафон логин гиг памяти и работает отлично

10. MaximumFish

MaximumFish New Member

I just tried this on my Sony Bravia. The app installed fine but unfortunately I couldn't install the root certificate. It looked promising, giving the install dialog and asking for a certificate name, but then it said installation failed. I tried the alternate method but there doesn't appear to be any certificate options available in Android TV. Shame as my main (only) reason to install it on my TV is to block Youtube ads.

11. vasily_bagirov

vasily_bagirov Administrator Staff Member Administrator

@MaximumFish sorry I haven't answered you earlier.

Have you tried using 'Alternative way to install certificate' below the 'Install certificate' option? It might help in your case.

12. MaximumFish

MaximumFish New Member

Yeah, I did say I'd tried that but I guess I wasn't clear on the outcome. Basically, it opened what I'd assume is the Settings/Security page, where on a phone you get the option to install a cert from storage, but on the TV that option is missing. I had a look in the developer options in case it was hidden but didn't find anything there either. Searching Google just gives results for installing certs on a phone or literally rooting the TV itself (which I don't want to do). Can a cert be installed via adb maybe? Again, Google was inconclusive on that!

Edit: I wonder if the normal import method failed because it wanted to force the use of a lock screen, which Android TV doesn't appear to have the functionality for (and would be a huge pain anyway!). I see it's possible to import as a 'system-trusted' cert using a root shell in adb, which avoids the need for a lock screen, but if I had root I'd just install Xposed and the Youtube ad-block module instead.

I'm thinking due to the nature of Android TV that this isn't actually possible without root.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
  13. vasily_bagirov

Looks like it is not possible without root then, indeed. I am not experienced at all with Android TV (never used it), so I have to trust you on that.

14. dmostert

dmostert New Member

I've also installed on my Shield for Android TV - same problem.

App tries to install the cert, but fail at the end.

D.

15. frenchystyle93

frenchystyle93 New Member

Do you think one day develop Adguard on android TV?

16. vasily_bagirov

@frenchystyle93 I believe avatar has answered the exact same question in the other thread:

17. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Moderator + Beta Tester Moderator

If the Android TV supports installing APKs from unknown sources, and you can load the Adguard APK on a SD card, USB thumb drive, downloaded through the web browser, etc. and install it using a file explorer app, it may just work.

Bottom line: if there's no way to enable unknown sources, there's no way Adguard can be installed.

18. ahstanin

ahstanin New Member

I am having same problem with my Android TV 6 device. Really wish to use this app since ads been annoying to me all the time. I think it requires to root the device in order to install certificate. I really don't wanna root my android TV. Please let me know if you find out any other way to install HTTPS.

19. vasily_bagirov

20. Jecht_Sin

Jecht_Sin New Member

Hello,

I have a Bravia TV with Android 7.0. I can install and run Adguard, but I have a couple of issues

1. I can use Adguard only with a mouse (or the virtual touchpad from the Sony's Video & TV Sideview). Since the TV remote buttons basically emulate the keyboard's arrows + Escape + Enter, I believe that if you manage to have the GUI fully working with those keyboard keys using a Bluetooth keyboard it would work just fine with the TV remote
    2. This is a very bad issue: There is a bug in Android TV for Bravia (any version at least since 6.0.1) that makes the TV always rebooting after exiting stand-by if any VPN is active. I am quite sure that as workaround you would need just to pause the VPN when entering stand-by (turning the TV off/locking the screen on mobile) and enabling it again after exiting the stand-by (turning the TV on/unlock the screen). I see there is an option already to pause the VPN when there is no connectivity. Any chance you can extend it to the sleep/wake? Obviously Sony blames the third party apps and not their dtv_svc process crashing miserably..
    Thanks.

PS: I am fully available for beta testing if required.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017