Annoying cursor freeze when AdGuard UI/tray icon starts

Discussion in 'Technical Support (AdGuard for Windows)' started by tox1c90, Oct 28, 2018.

1. tox1c90

tox1c90 Beta Tester

Hi!

I'm experiencing a very annoying thing caused by Adguard. Whenever the computer is loading the desktop (after a restart, or after user sign-off and sign-on again) and Adguard tray icon loads the first time in this session, the mouse cursor is freezing for half a second up to a second.

If I close Adguard tray icon and run it again, it's fine. But if I disable autorun of Adguard UI/tray, restart the computer or sign off and sign on, and THEN just manually run Adguard, cursor is freezing again for a short amount of time.

So it has something to do with Adguard UI running the first time in the user session.

Any ideas?

2. tox1c90

tox1c90 Beta Tester

Just one more thing that might help analyzing this problem: The exact same thing happens with running the Steam client for the first time in a session.

If I run Steam -> short cursor freeze. If I run Adguard after that, no freeze anymore.
    And vice versa!

So is there anything that Adguard and Steam client do the same for rendering the UI?

3. TheHasagi

TheHasagi Quality Assurance / Support Commando Staff Member Administrator Moderator

@tox1c90

Hello!

Can you try to add this rule (@@||store.steampowered.com^$important,document,~extension) in your user filter? (AdGuard - Ad Blocker - Open filter editor - User filter).

Also, in AdGuard - Filtered Apps you can disable filtering for Steam.

4. tox1c90

tox1c90 Beta Tester

Hi!

I think you might have misunderstood the problem - it's not related to Adguard filtering something, it's happening for Steam and Adguard independently.

Whatever of these two programs loads the first after Windows booted is causing a short mouse cursor lag/hang when the UI is rendered the first time. So I think it's more related to how you render or initialize your UI... and it's just by chance that Steam is doing the same thing?

Just an idea… could it be that you are using Chromium stuff/engine to render your UI? So does Steam... and if I google my problem with mouse/cursor freezes on first start, I'm getting some results of people experiencing this problem during Google Chrome browser start.

5. tox1c90

tox1c90 Beta Tester

Tried another thing: Started playback of a local video file from my harddrive in PowerDVD. Started Adguard UI -> video playback freeze for 0.5 seconds when Adguard UI appears.

Subsequent opening of the UI works without further hickups. Only after user sign-off and sign-on, or after restarting the computer, it is freezing 0.5 seconds again.

It seems to only affect everything graphics/GPU-related. Audio is playing fine without disturbance. Some stuff with Windows DWM maybe? I think that one gets reset when signing off/on.

6. TheHasagi

TheHasagi Quality Assurance / Support Commando Staff Member Administrator Moderator

@tox1c90

That's strange.

Can you uncheck the usage of WFP driver in AdGuard - Settings - Network - Use WFP driver and try again?