Annoying EV Certificate Filtering Notifications in 6.3.974.3223 Beta for Windows

Looks like there isn't much discussion about the new beta version yet, so I hope this thread is in the right location.

I upgraded to v6.3.974.3223 today and appears to work mostly just fine (surprisingly few notable changes for such a long delay in development) but one thing is driving me insane:

I have "Do not filter websites with EV certificates" enabled and now I'm getting a loud notification sound and a Windows 10 toaster popup every single time I visit a website with an EV certificate.

I see no obvious way to control or disable these notifications.

Honestly, having a simple way to blacklist EV excluded sites isn't a bad idea. But this is definitely not the way to do it. There isn't even a simple way to whitelist these already whitelisted sites.

A Windows 10 default "DING DONG!" and toaster popup for every single page load of PayPal or my bank or even this forum (WTF is "datds.net", by the way?) is insane.

Yeah, that's pretty insane behavior, but still not even the root of the issue.

There is currently literally zero control over these notifications. Even if it notified only the very first time it ever came across such a domain, it would still be way too many notifications. And if that were the behavior, it would be annoying yet incredibly ineffective as a simple way to whitelist. And even if there was control over the notifications, it would be bad default behavior.

There are way too many domains with EV certificates on the web right now, toaster popups simply aren't a good way to solve the issues this likely was supposed to solve. A EV history log or something would be a much better way to do this.

kavabanga

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
@Purple Tentacle, we've fixed this bug as soon as possible, you can try it by getting the Nightly update (you should use our new feature - Nightly update channel)

kavabanga

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The notification appears only once when you go to the EV site for the first time. In this manner, such notifications don't annoy ever more

There is a huge amount of domains of EV certified sites. On an average day a user will stumble over dozens if not hundreds of them. Heck, there is one embedded in this forum right now (I still have no clue what "datds.net" is and belongs to and how it managed to get an EV certificate).

Of course having a loud "DING DONG!" happen every single time when a user finds such a site, even if only for the first time, is insanely annoying. And tenfold so, since the user has no control over these notifications.

So, your "fix", isn't really a fix. It also cripples functionality of the feature you're trying to offer but only makes the problem less annoying instead of not annoying in the process.

The EV site notification is stupid. It's stupid default behavior, it's stupid that there is no control over it and if it only happens upon first visit, it's not even all that terribly useful.

I get what you are trying to do here but audible notifications that need to be dismissed by the user are not the solution, even if you just do "less" of them.