App stops working/filtering intermittently

Figpucker

I'm using an S10+ (rooted) on Android 11, and I use the Local Proxy filtering method. I used the Magisk module to move the certificate into the system directory. When it works, it works great, but AdGuard seems to just stop filtering at random times as I'm browsing in Chrome. Switching it off and on again doesn't even work consistently, sometimes it will just start filtering again hours later.

I know it's not being killed off as I disabled all optimizations for it and deep sleep in the settings, but I'm just wondering why this keeps happening, it's really frustrating that it only seems to work about half the time.

I have uninstalled v3.6 and tried newer nightlies and I have the same issue, sometimes it just won't filter anything, switching it on and off or not will sometimes work and then stop hours or days later.

Is there any reason it stops working periodically and is there anything I can do to prevent it?

Thanks.

a.nastenko

Quality Assurance
Staff member
Administrator
Hello.
You can try "Watchdog period" option. Go to AdGuard Settings -> Advanced -> Watchdog period -> Enter some interval.
This method might help to keep the service alive and restart it if necessary.
Do you have issues with filtering only or the application itself stops suddenly?

Figpucker

Hello.
You can try "Watchdog period" option. Go to AdGuard Settings -> Advanced -> Watchdog period -> Enter some interval.
This method might help to keep the service alive and restart it if necessary.
Do you have issues with filtering only or the application itself stops suddenly?
It's not an issue with the app being killed, it's just the Local HTTP Proxy (root) method that seems to stop working intermittently. It happened again a couple days ago where I started noticing ads in my browser. When I switched to Local VPN and refreshed, the ads were gone. Then I switched back to the root method and the ads were still present and not being filtered.

Something is causing the root method to stop working, I haven't been able to get it working again and now I'm using Local VPN, but it's not ideal as I sometimes want to use an actual VPN with ad blocking