Applications not Recognizing Wifi Connection

Discussion in 'Technical Support (AdGuard for Android)' started by ejchis, Dec 15, 2017.

1. ejchis

ejchis Beta Tester

For the last several weeks, I have been having an issue with my apps not recognizing my wifi connection. For instance, Google Photos, which I have set to upload photos whenever I connect to wifi, was never uploading photos. In order to force the upload, I would need to change the settings to allow uploads over cellular data. I would do this when connect to wifi, and then the photos would upload, but I could never be sure whether my phone was using mobile data or not.

Similarly, I have Pocket Casts set to download new podcasts when I connect to wifi. I have had to manually download new podcasts before walking out the door. Even when connected to wifi, I would get a warning that I was not connected to wifi when forcing a download.

I was on the developer previews of Oreo when the issue started, so I had assumed it was an Oreo problem. But I've now been on stable 8.1 for a couple of weeks, and the issue is still not resolved. Today, I booted into safe mode, and my photos immediately uploaded. I then rebooted and disabled AdGuard, and all of my podcasts began downloading. So it appears this is being caused by AdGuard.

Is this a known issue? If so, is there a solution? Maybe some settings that need to be tweaked. I tried a quick search and didn't see anything, but I imagine I'm not alone. I appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

2. Tanmay

Tanmay New Member

I am also facing the same issue, after updating to 8.1 on my Nexus 6P. With android 8.0 it was working fine for me.

3. UMX

UMX Member

- rooted?
    (or)
    - VPN mode?

4. Tanmay

Tanmay New Member

VPN Mode. The phone is not Rooted. It started happening after I installed OTA 8.1 update before couple of days, without any other changes done specifically on Android or AdGuard.

5. UMX

UMX Member

could you pls. try if it's an Android systems issue (all VPN connections same behavior) by setting up any other VPN, connecting it and checking for the described behavior?
    If you have no provider pls see vpngate.net.

6. Tanmay

Tanmay New Member

I tried some VPN apps. They were all behaving the same. Just wanted to check if is there something AdGuard community knows about this via this thread.

7. UMX

UMX Member

thx, so it's quite obviously an Android issue where chances to find solutions are way higher in/at respective forums/sites.

You still could be lucky here but I tried other places (too). I'm on Nougat BTW, no issues here. Sorry to be of no better help.

8. Tanmay

Tanmay New Member

Thankx for yor help and quick responses @UMX :)

9. UMX

UMX Member

BTW: I googled sth like "Oreo VPN unmetered" or alike.
    You might also have a look here, maybe it helps.

10. UMX

UMX Member

last idea: look at the advanced settings of your VPN(s) for sth like "metered (network)" and uncheck it.

11. ejchis

ejchis Beta Tester

As a temporary solution, I have deselected in AdGuard routing data through AdGuard for Google Photos and Pocket Casts. That's obviously not a long-term fix, but it generally works for now.

12. Mick²

Mick² New Member

This is still a problem for me on a Nokia 6, with AdGuard 2.11.81. Applications don't detect the Wi-Fi connection and thus automatic back-ups for google photos and SMS back-up fail.
    My device is a Nokia 6 (HMD Global TA-1033) with Android Oreo 8.1.0 build 00WW_5_580_SP03 (sec . patch june 1, 2018).

Was this fixed for other brands / models with Android 7+?