Apps where AdGuard for Android can't filter and/or remove the ads from!

Discussion in 'Technical Support (AdGuard for Android)' started by Boo Berry, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Moderator + Beta Tester Moderator

Here's a list of Android apps that AdGuard for Android can't filter and/or remove the ads from (due to whatever technical reasons - it's likely different case-to-case!). So there will be ads in these apps when running AdGuard for Android...

Facebook
    Instagram
    Twitter
    UC Browser (can't be filtered because of the use of data compression)
    YouTube

Keep in mind that Android 7.0 and above effectively prevents HTTPS filtering in most of the apps unless you have root access and can move the AdGuard certificate to the system store!

This list will be updated as more apps are found, thanks!

2. Edoardo Giordano Mozzini

Edoardo Giordano Mozzini New Member

ok, i understand, but for me the most important thing, is deleted the ads, and as I say it works, I don't care about the changes that they make!

3. Grah

Grah New Member

This is concerning as it implies that progressively more apps will implement ways to defeat ad blocking. Is more detailed information available about this problem and are efforts underway find a solution?

4. Boo Berry

Well, in the case of Facebook and Instagram, from what I recall, attempting to block those ads would break the apps completely.

In regards to YouTube, they're using a new player where ads are double encrypted.

5. Edoardo Giordano Mozzini

Edoardo Giordano Mozzini New Member

In regards to YouTube: Precisely for this reason I use the factory version, uninstalling (impossible to uninstall because system app) the latest version from the phone settings, have already passed 4 days without seeing advertising.
    If you have the latest Android (beta) version exactly 2.10.56, import the settings from the file I have uploaded, uncheck the filter: "EasyList Italy" and select the one you are interested in.

Attached Files:

6. Bayazid B. Halim

Bayazid B. Halim New Member

I am interested in this. I have root access and I'd like to block the ads from the Twitter app.

7. Boo Berry

The Twitter app, even with root access and certificate moved to the system store, can't have its ads removed. It's on the list above.

Bayazid B. Halim likes this.
  8. Bayazid B. Halim

Bayazid B. Halim New Member

Oh, I thought it can be filtered if the certificate is moved to the system.

9. msxtj

msxtj New Member

So yup, Google and Facebook succeeded. With Android 7.0 unrooted, Youtube and Facebook are bloated with ads. Soon, all other apps will employ techniques used in the Youtube app and Adblockers will be out of a job.

-It is super ill-advised to root a Samsung phone as this blows up an eFuse and all Knox capabilities are gone. For some users (like me), Knox or Secure Folder is highly important.

10. UMX

UMX Member

@avatar promised a new version where at least advanced users can restore ad protection.
    Today AG doesn't even try to filter :(:mad:

11. freshhh

freshhh Active Member

more apps where ads aren't blocked:

Dateway
    Nearby

12. Boo Berry

The number of apps that can't be filtered by AG for Android will only increase as time passes, due to apps targeting the newer API level(s) that distrust user certificates.

Even rooting your phone and moving the certificate to the system store won't be much help with those apps that use double encryption, and thus can't be filtered either.

Bacevs likes this.
  13. Bacevs

Bacevs New Member

Is this relevant?

Universal Android SSL Pinning Bypass #2
    New Universal Android SSL Pinning Bypass based on Frida
    Why would someone “double encrypt”?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  14. Altenburger

Altenburger New Member

Hello,

Have you tried Frida or Dexguard? I've just found DexGuard vs. ProGuard compared. But is it possible to recover SQLCipher encrypted data with Dexguard? Thanks.