Assistant icon missing at paypal.com

Discussion in 'Technical Support (AdGuard for Windows)' started by Bushido, May 12, 2017.

1. Bushido

Bushido Member

There is no Assistant icon at
    Code:
    https://www.paypal.com/

Attached Files:

• 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      8.8 KB
      Views:
  2. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Moderator + Beta Tester Moderator

This is intended. PayPal is one of the websites added to the exclusions list, which makes perfect sense. Adguard actively adds financial institution URLs to the exclusions list.

If you look closely, the site isn't filtered at all (and you can see the Extended Validation (EV) certificate being used next to the web address).

Check out this new article here, especially the part about Financial websites and websites with sensitive personal data.

3. Bushido

Bushido Member

But how to remove ,,By using PayPal.com you agree to our use of cookies to enhance your experience." bar from websites that have EV certificate?

4. Boo Berry

I wouldn't recommend removing PayPal from the exclusions list.

The cookie warning thing is probably something we all have to live with as a result of the exclusion (IMO, it's a small price to pay for security on banking and payment websites).

5. Boo Berry

@vasily_bagirov I did find another issue when visiting the PayPal website, Adguard's Browsing Security Module gives off a warning about iad-login.dotomi.com - anyone else confirm?

EDIT: Oddly enough, according to the log it looks like Adguard is somewhat filtering the site. What the?!? ||t.paypal.com^ from the Spyware filter is being applied while @@||paypal.com^$document from the English filter is also being applied. Interesting, I would of thought the exclusion would of overridden any other rules. I also don't see a cookie warning, so enabling the Spyware filter and Annoyances filter might actually take care of it.

6. Bushido

Bushido Member

I see a cookie warning: 5.jpg

7. Boo Berry

I don't (maybe because I'm in the US). Which filters do you have enabled? Try enabling the Annoyances filter and see if it goes away. If not, clicking the X by the warning should get rid of it.

EDIT: Strangely enough, I tried using the Chrome Adguard Adblocker browser extension, and the @@||paypal.com^$document is working correctly there - nothing on the site is being filtered (as intended).

But yeah, PayPal is added to the exclusions list, so it's not wise to try to remove it from said list.

8. Bushido

Bushido Member

Clicking the X removes it but after browser (PayPal related) cookies have been deleted and when using/re-using browser in Incognito/Private mode, then it reappears. So clicking on X is only temporary solution.

By the way, I have enabled the Annoyances filter.

9. vasily_bagirov

vasily_bagirov Administrator Staff Member Administrator

10. Bushido

Bushido Member

@vasily_bagirov I read it. But It does not fit to my mind that it is impossible to block cookie warning message without filtering website.
    By the way, meaning that website is not fraudalike or fake does not necessary mean that these secure websites are not harming user in no way. We have read terms of service cases where big companies are doing something that harms the interest of their users.

11. Boo Berry

To block the cookie warning it'd require filtering the site, which isn't recommended on PayPal for security reasons.

Like I said, probably have to live with the cookie warning there when considering the pros and cons.

12. Bushido

Bushido Member

Let's hope that blocking technology develops more.

13. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Beta Tester

I realize I'm resurrecting a slightly old thread here, but I can confirm that this popup appears for me as well. It happens on my personal computer running Windows 10 and Chrome (both of which were cleanly installed yesterday) as well as on my wife's laptop that uses Windows 8.1 and Firefox.