Basic questions

Kat hayes

I want to use Adguard on my iPhone and iPad. I am extremely non technical.

1. Should other content blockers be disabled when using Adguard?
2. How do you configure it so my toddler will see as few ads as possible through YouTube in safari, or Firefox or through the app?
3. I just checked a website in Firefox and ads pop up. Can they be disabled? Is there a way to disable ads across everything on the device regardless of app used?

Thanks!

vasily_bagirov

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
@Kat hayes hi!

1. Should other content blockers be disabled when using Adguard?
You don't have to, but there really is not much purpose in running several adblockers at once.

2. How do you configure it so my toddler will see as few ads as possible through YouTube in safari, or Firefox or through the app?
In case you have Pro version of Adguard, just turn on the DNS filtering. Very soon we will release an update that introduces the so-called 'Systemwide adblocking', which will do the job even better.

If you are on a regular Adguard version, there's not much you can do, unfortunately. It only works for Safari.

3. I just checked a website in Firefox and ads pop up. Can they be disabled? Is there a way to disable ads across everything on the device regardless of app used?
Again, it depends on whether you use Pro or regular version. If it is regular Adguard, this behavior is expected. Otherwise, it is not and we will need the details - website's address, preferably a screenshot etc.

Kat hayes

I do have the pro version. I did not have that option turned on.

Are there any downsides to having this turned on? Does it slow anything down? Can I expect this to eliminate all ads in safari, Firefox, and chrome?

Does this mean that if I'm searching for something like a computer on my iPad. When I later switch to a computer I shouldn't get ads from amazon or some other site based on my iPad search for computers? Does this eliminate this type of tracking?

Thanks!

vasily_bagirov

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Are there any downsides to having this turned on? Does it slow anything down? Can I expect this to eliminate all ads in safari, Firefox, and chrome?
There is no real downside besides the incompatibility with few other apps. It won't slow anything down, on the contrary. As for whether it will remove all ads in Safari, Firefox etc - it will, most of them. It is possible that on rare occasions an ad is left unblocked, mostly due to the inherent flaws of the method we have to use. Our possibilities are very limited on iOS compared to Windows or Mac, for example.

Does this mean that if I'm searching for something like a computer on my iPad. When I later switch to a computer I shouldn't get ads from amazon or some other site based on my iPad search for computers? Does this eliminate this type of tracking?
That's right. Even better, though, is to install Adguard on the computer too :)

Kat hayes

I've been having my toddler use Youtube through Chrome on an iPad. It seems that I am noticing fewer ads, though there still are some that come up before some videos. Are there any additional settings that can be changed to prevent this?

What is the reason for using the Block element of this page via Safari if I have DNS filtering on? Is this an additional step that should be taken?

Thanks.

vasily_bagirov

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It seems that I am noticing fewer ads, though there still are some that come up before some videos.
Unfortunately, YouTube is one of those apps we struggle with. It is totally possible that you see ads there. As I've already said, the method we have to use on iOS is much less potent than, say, on Mac or Windows.

What is the reason for using the Block element of this page via Safari if I have DNS filtering on? Is this an additional step that should be taken?
Ad blocking possibilities in Safari are more diverse, we can use more fine-tuned approach than plain DNS blocking there. As a sequence, we can offer a tool to block any element manually. Not that you have to, but if you see a skipped ad or generally any element you don't want to be shown, you can block it with this tool.