Browsers > Applications

Discussion in 'Feature Requests (Adguard for Windows)' started by Boo Berry, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Moderator + Beta Tester Moderator

Would it be viable to rename and expand the browsers section of Adguard to specify applications other than browsers, like IM clients? I'm thinking it wouldn't be hard to rename the section and add entries for applications like Skype. Reason I suggest this is because there are some potential users out there who look at Adguard and assume it's for browsers-only, when it can filter any process specified as a browser. All I'm suggesting is changing that to point out that Adguard can indeed filter applications other than web browsers.

Maybe split the section with browsers listed as top as browsers, then IM applications like Skype and other common applications with advertisements embedded (e.g. Windows Metro apps perhaps?).

2. avatar

avatar Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Applications filtering is not yet officially supported.

We will definitely add the section after adding applications filtering support.

By the way, what apps do you think should we add to the list? Skype, uTorrent, what else?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2014
  3. Boo Berry

Instant messaging programs for sure, e.g. Skype, Yahoo! Messenger, AIM, ICQ, etc. Yes for uTorrent and other p2p-type of programs. My main thought is Metro/Modern apps with ads in them would be VERY useful.

4. avatar

Great, thank you for the list!

5. Boo Berry

I'll try to think of some others - it's been a long time since I've used any of those programs. :p

6. Venky

Venky Beta Tester

7. avatar

8. Boo Berry

There's one obvious hurdle here with this idea; the assistant. How would we be able to create custom filter rules for applications like AIM, Skype, etc. if at all? DLL injection, perhaps? Even though such a thing could make programs unstable/crash. Seems like a lot of work to do, if it's even possible at all.

9. avatar

Assistant for applications is too risky. So the only way is to look into log and block ad requests.

10. deleted

deleted Beta Tester

Is it possible to extend the scope to other apps like Malwarebytes Antimalware and Speedyfox ?
    Screenshots for illustrations:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. mysteriously

mysteriously Beta Tester & Translator

up@: Sometimes ads are build-in into apps (and are displayed even if you are offline). In other cases you can add apps to Settings -> Browsers list. Wireshark may help aiming ads source.

Topic@: Please make such feature optional (with a possibility to disable it)

12. vasily_bagirov

vasily_bagirov Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Hi! Do you mean adding functions like anti-malware protection and uninstall tool, or just showing more information about our other products in Adguard menu?

13. deleted

deleted Beta Tester

What I meant was just like Adguard blocks ads in Skype and uTorrent, is the same possible in the programs I mentioned above ?

14. Boo Berry

Maybe... maybe not. You can try adding them manually as browsers so they're filtered.

15. deleted

deleted Beta Tester

tried that but doesn't help.
    Thats why my original questions : can adguard's scope be extended to those apps?

16. Boo Berry

For MalwareBytes, probably not since that's not exactly an ad and probably would require physical patching of the program's file(s) to remove. That, and the vendor might not be too happy about removing the upgrade notice on the free version. SpeedyFox, maybe, if they're loading random banner ads. The idea for filtering applications is for programs like Skype, other IM programs like AIM and Yahoo, uTorrent, etc.

17. deleted

deleted Beta Tester

Yes I understand what you are trying to say about the developer getting upset
    but even if you have a premium version then also you will see those ads.
    Here are other examples from the same product :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you see these are more than 'upgrade to premium version'....
    Nonetheless, I accept the fact that its not possible for Adguard to do so.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2015
  18. avatar

Even if it is possible, we won't add such rules to our main filters, it is against our policy to block their own promo.

But it's ok for user filter. We will analyze requests being sent by MalwareBytes and see if these ads are loaded from the web.

19. Boo Berry

I bet it's hard coded.

20. deleted

deleted Beta Tester

Thanx avatar, will keep an eye....