BT Yahoo! Mail 'sponsored ads'

Discussion in 'Missed Ads' started by JohnR., Sep 10, 2016.

1. JohnR.

JohnR. New Member

If any Adguard user of BT Yahoo! Mail has succeeded in totally and permanently blocking 'sponsored' adverts I'd dearly like to have full details of settings.

I'm new to Adguard and, as a 'senior citizen' on my own (London, UK), am unfamiliar with much jargon, such as 'scripts'. (I vividly remember MS-DOS and have a desktop only, but am otherwise more-or-less up-to-date, e.g. with Windows 10 Pro on a pretty fast pc.) As best I can I ignore all 'social media' (Twitter, Facebook, YouTube...) but really rely on e-mail to be efficiently dedicated -- but only to e-mail!

The ads that irritate present themselves in two guises: at the head of each displayed e-mail folder, as 'Editor's Picks' (YouTube) and suchlike; and to the right of each e-mail text, where an ad masks a significant part of the e-mail text, and clicking it 'off' lasts only a few seconds before it comes back.

2. Gass

Gass Member

Hi John,

Over here in the US, Yahoo mail ads can be cumbersome as well in disturbing to one's peace of thought.
    If my Adguard is disabled I know exactly what advertisements your talking about.
    You didn't say if your using the Adguard for Windows program or that of an Adguard browser extension.
    Since you've posted in the Adguard for Widows thread lets go with the thinking you've installed AG for Windows.
    By the way welcome aboard too.

Adguard should be blocking all the ads your exposed to when viewing yahoo mail. Do you have any other site where ads
    are bombarding your surfing too?

Have you tried using the Adguard Assistant of "Block Element" feature, (accessed by the Adguard Icon seen on most every webpage) default location is the lower right corner of your screen, when you cursor on it, it changes color. If your not seeing it - ensure it's active by bringing up the Adguard UI, settings and look in Extensions to see there is a check mark next "Adguard Assistant" .

Then tapping on the Adguard Icon on your screen of Yahoo mail and select "Block element", adjust the green border around and to fit the area you'd like to block and tap the green box "BLOCK", Adguard will present you with a Pop-up of a new rule was added to your "User Filter" (User Filter is listed under Ad Blocker in Adguard's UI) if all went ok. Do this for all advertisements you'd wish to remove from Yahoo mail or any other sites you should experience them on.

Read more (though seems a little dated) about Adguard Assistant-
    https://adguard.com/en/help/usage_assistant.htm

Maybe someone more experienced with Adguard can chime in as to why ads are not blocked for you and then maybe offer other solutions for the Win 10 OS your using. If you hear no more you could try uninstalling Adguard and then re-installing it, to see if these Yahoo ads are addressed by blocking then.

Gass

3. JohnR.

JohnR. New Member

Gass, am most grateful for your detailed response. It looks as if I'll be trying your patience even more. Be so good as to read on.

The 'standard' licensed Adguard I have is 6.1 but nowhere does it say it's 'Windows'. Adguard is on my desktop but not on the foot-of-the-screen taskbar. 'Enable Extensions' and 'Adguard Assistant' are both green-ticked but I can't get any reaction at all from clicking either. Is Adguard Assistant a separate product?! Surely not? Certainly I haven't ordered it. The 'change of colour' and 'Block Element' you mention are both news to me -- I've never seen them. Could the hang-up possibly be that my browser is Internet Explorer 11, which you do not mention? (Firefox was dropped when it repeatedly 'failed to respond', always with an 'embarrassed' apology.)

Clearly something is basically wrong and I'm hoping you can put your finger on what it is. My virus protection is AVG Internet Security, if that is relevant, but AVG functions smoothly so I can't see that it can be a problem. Elsewhere (ie aside from e-mail) I don't have significant problems with ads. Adguard was installed and configured by a good (technical) friend of mine when he delivered this 64-bit pc a fortnight ago -- he chose options that I can't say I understand, but he's not himself an Adguard user, though his hardware and software experience is impressive.

Gass likes this.
  4. Gass

Gass Member

Greetings John,

Not at all, I like to help when I'm in the understandings, besides I like your words.
    First thing, I would want to see you do is watch for a sale of 50% off the Lifetime license around Black Friday sale time.
    This is if, the standard license you spoke of is for only the year's duration, if it is you might want to check out thread- https://forum.adguard.com/index.php...n-premium-or-standard-license.583/#post-24971
    and then see avatar's post #6 (#'s on left bottom of posts next to Like-Reply), try and input your License key in the link given there and see the amount to be charged to you as of right now, of course cancel the transaction. Then on Black Friday do the same thing and buy one if it suites you too. I mean it's by far the best pricing given then and Adguard has done nothing but improved with time...

Now on to the help, I don't think your going to see Windows in the version information of the about info. - the fact it's on your Windows 10 PC as opposed to a Mac, is fact enough. I was just wondering if you had the software program installed or that of a browser extension added and using it. Sometime it's both that people use but, the installed software program is better to use cause it works across all browsers you use, Adguard program provides more features then the Browser extension one. The Adguard for Windows will check each object loaded on it in addition to the page itself whereas the Adguard browser extensions inspects only those pages that you visit.
    1. Adguard Browser Extension doesn't block ads, it only hides them, resulting in no decrease in page load, while Adguard program can block ads before the page is loaded
    2. Adguard program has Adguard Assistant, an icon that tells you WOT ratings with its color and clicking on it has a bunch of features. Adguard Browser Extension doesn't.
    3. Adguard program has full technical support (Help pages, Forum-Email/PM, and high priority support tickets), Adguard Browser Extension only has Forum, low priority support tickets.
    4. Adguard program does not slow down browser startup because it is in a separate process, while Adguard Browser Extension uses the Chrome/Firefox/Opera/Safari/etc... processes.
    5. Application filtering. Adguard program blocks ads of any kind and not only in all browsers, but in programs as well! Even in Windows UI applications (apps from Windows Store).

So far good with that ok, although I can't help you in understanding that peculiar OS version I will try to help. I have an Win.8.1 but stripped it out as much of the app's and metro stuff as I could to have it like the older Desktop's Windows was noted for, just my preference there.

I think where I'm losing you is the 'Enable Extensions' and 'Adguard Assistant' of the Adguard's UI, those should be ticked-Green. Nothing more from the AG UI is possible with them there.
    The reaction of having them on (or Green) is seen on most any loaded website's page (I say most any as it was pointed out to me - not all webpages have the Adguard Assistant Icon shown on them), you won't be doing anything from the Adguard UI in the actual use of the AG Assistant (follow me), it's from a loaded up webpage such as Yahoo mail or most any other sites you open in your IE11 browser.

You ask if Adguard Assistant a separate product?! Yes and no, short answer it's apart of Adguard Adblocker program it doesn't cost any more and it aids in what the Adblocker may have missed in ads of a page or the like of banners, etc... Even though Adguard consists of huge filtering lists it can still miss out on some sites ads. To overcome this issue a special browser module has been developed by Adguard named Adguard Assistant. The Adguard Assistant will help you to manually block any content on a website with ease. The Assistant is also integrated with WOT reputation so that when you visit a site the assistant will show the site’s reputation according to the WOT which will give added security. When you manually block an element using Assistant, the rule will be added to the user Filter.
    See more here-
    https://adguard.com/en/adguard-windows/quick-tour.html select "How to block ads manually?" See the 1st. grayed out image and the AG Assistant Icon in the bottom right of it (follow me), this is what it looks like when you click on it just before the 2nd. image of the AG Assistant opens up the UI, otherwise the Icon is mostly white in color, not to be to intrusive in your page views.
    There are extensions to add to browsers but not for Internet Explores Browsers EX: IE11, IE10 IE9 etc... Besides the Browser Extensions are not as feature rich and if not the need ok, but your best bet is still the installed Adguard Adblocker program, hope you agree.

Your antivirus, antimalware, internet security suite are not in question here with the AG Assistant, least not that I would think.
    Before doing anything you might right click on Adguard's Icon in the system tray/notification area and disable it's protection, go to yahoo mail and see all ads - then while there enable it's protection back and refresh the page and see what ads are gone now.
    I would also look in Adguard's UI under Adblocker and make sure the setting for "Do not block useful ads" is white in color or off with no check mark and see if that make a difference in Yahoo mail, as this should block every ad for you now.
    If not use the AG Assistant as the link above describes and get ride of those pesty ads. It shouldn't have to be this way for yahoo mail as it's not this way with me on it in the US and Adguard program installed.
    I would make a new thread again, and I know that mail screen capture is of a private nature but, I have Ashampoo Snap 9 and I can capture a free rectangle to only show the ads themselves, I would ask if you have a similar program to do the same and show proof to the techs here what kind of ads Adguard is missing, which may help. You can upload them then to tinypic(dot)com and supply that link (bottom one of all offered to you there after upload) and add each of them here by the image link (by smiley face) in the toolbar at the top of typing texts field box.

Hope this is of some help, if not we'll try again,
    Gass

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
    aegis likes this.
  5. JohnR.

JohnR. New Member

Thanks again, Gass. One thing at a time, please! So it's a matter of 'which' one thing: well, my choice is 'Adguard Adblocker', not previously named, as far as I can see, either on my Adguard windows (your 'UI' or 'user interface', yes?) or in our present forum correspondence. From a little searching that I've done Adguard Adblocker seems to bring 'Chrome' with it, but 'Chrome' (almost as bad as 'Bing') brings unwelcome, hidden, add-ons -- at least it does to my super-cautious mind. You've assured me that IE11 is OK, so that's one worry fewer. But I definitely need the Adguard Adblocker program, do I? Can you give me a 'yes' or 'no', or is there yet another complication I'm unaware of? Cheers! -- if that's still OK as a sign-off! :)

P.S. How do I get one-click access to this forum from my desktop?

Gass likes this.
  6. Gass

Gass Member

Greetings John,

Totally wasn't my intent to dishearten or saturate with so much confusion.
    Really just two items were covered but, each having multi facets within each.
    Item 1 was the installed program you would install to your operating system and whatever it may be referred to by whoever, but Adguard between us from now on.
    Item 2 was the add-on for that of browsers that lives separate of your operating system which is referred to as extension, add-on, (browser extension) proper.

Before I get carried away again let me try to understand this "P.S. How do I get one-click access to this forum from my desktop?"
    Not quite sure what you mean or want here. The only "one click" if there is one, would be to click-on the email notice (if set to notify of replies when you start a thread) that's sent to you of a new reply. If it's something like login (I think this is also handled by clicking on of that email notice as well) that logs you in and brings you to that one thread and the new post (reply) in it.
    But, just coming on to the site and a login, it's a multi step process to get back to a certain area's contents and topics, (following my reasoning), I'm just of a few years a forum type user and don't understand a lot about it, (hey I'm old of the 1950's babies). The forum has features which I haven't explored as of yet "like" following members, topics, etc... Why confuse simplicity with options? Especially for convenience when you have to learn something new and not expressly understood without that learning and of it's benefits. Take a cellphone compared to a smartphone both texts and make calls just one need more of a learning curve to use.

Now Item 1 Adguard, and NO to just use it - you don't have to install any other browsers. The standard browser of Windows, IE11 is fine here.
    See my 1st image in hopes to clarify we indeed are relating to same. (installed Adguard program)
    [​IMG]

See image for Adguard Assistant #1 - how it looks when a loaded page is in your IE11 browser (my homepage is seen here)
    [​IMG]

See image for Adguard Assistant #2 - how the color changes when you click-on it to open up the UI
    [​IMG]

see image of the Adguard Assistant expanded User Interface (UI)
    [​IMG]
    See in the above image in the background is still my browsers IE11 homepage. When you use the Adguard Assistant on any webpage it loads there to block an AD element you wish to be removed from it, as well then writes a rule in your User Filter so this only needs to be done once for that particular AD, though it may have to be repeated to remove more (all) ADs BUT, after doing it only once and removing all AD elements it doesn't have to be repeated for the same website's webpage visits again.

NOTEs:
    1. I personally haven't used the Adguard Assistant all that much.
    2. I do believe you are able to block more than one (1) AD element before committing the operation (finalizing), though must be done in separate steps before the final commitment, I'm not so sure if this is only achieved from the "advanced tab" within it.
    3. Once you commit to block that AD element the page itself will reload and then have removed the AD element(s) you've chosen. Your able to do back to back removals but, in each instance the page will reload at each commitment to the BLOCK showing the page then with the now newly removed AD element gone, unless done as mentioned in 2.

4. Yes I'm still on the subject and focus of Adguard (installed program) although one facet of that installed program is a separate module (Adguard Assistant) that lives in your browser online window (if that's at all a right description), anyways it's purpose is to fine tune the removal of AD elements that the main Adguard installed program filters somehow have missed on certain websites. It's an extra effort that Adguard's Team of developers have given us to help insure all ads can be addressed and are removed if we so want, which we do of course - who in their rights minds wants to see ads unless it's of a monetary benefit to them.

I'd be more than happy to help you further if you'd like.
    One question - one answer if you'd prefer.

Have a good day Sir,
    Gass

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
  7. JohnR.

JohnR. New Member

"One question - one answer" -- you have my vote, Gass. One at a time, then.

1. The time-saving "Adguard for Windows" shortcut (to the forum of that name) is now on my desktop. That's absolutely fine and I'm embarrassed to have bothered you with this.

2. A penny has dropped, at long last (many more needed...): I've spotted the tiny Adguard Assistant thingy bottom right on a website, and invoking it there gives the screen that you've been chatting about. Wow! So, my from-square-one assumption that enabling Adguard Assistant would there and then offer general settings to choose was wrong: all it does is offer a site-by-site basis, saving the user very little. For someone like myself who browses pretty well ad infinitum, this is a huge disappointment.

3. As BT Yahoo! Mail is not a website, it's (so I understand) a web-based (and hence, in principle, very secure) e-mail system, Adguard Assistant is irrelevant? If that's true, Gass, can you tell me how I put a stop to the irritant phenomena described in my initial post, and which you accurately recognised? (Please answer, even if it involves repeating something you've already said...)

[4. Those images of yours! Is there an ABC guide to creating them and including them here? I'm getting used to Windows 10, by the way.]

Your patience with my density (cf. 2 above) is remarkable! Which region/corner/state of the USA do you inhabit? A bit of background (with your agreement, naturally) would be helpful. Is English your native language?

Sincerely,
    JohnR.

8. Gass

Gass Member

Hi John,
    One thing to think about is most written resources about Adguard was done before V 6, so something's are naturally dated, as the rollout of version updates have out pace that of what's written down and then to be kept well structured to coincide with presented facts of updated version information. Someday it will all mesh out, but till then hey the forums here for questions, facts and information anyway.

See that's something I've never considered, good call by the way. No you shouldn't worry about questions how else does one learn.
    I tend to use Password Managers where one password is all I need to remember, once entered to open the program it's just a click on the sites name held in secure record there that I wish to go to and bam, I'm there and logged in at the same time. I personally use RoboForm and it's been known of giveaways yearly.

A separate module Adguard Assistant that lives in your browser online windows, one of it's purpose is to fine tune in a self-service user addressed feature in the removal of AD elements that the main installed program filters somehow have missed on certain websites. I found this out- Why is the Assistant not present on some pages?
    1. Unfortunately we have to remove Assistant on some pages to avoid blocking the useful content and to display website properly.
    2. Assistant is removed on websites added manually to filtering exceptions.

No general settings are needed, as each department/component/function is for a specific purpose. I'm sorry your disappointed with it, it's only meant as to supplement the main program. I'd advise you to venture on to a website (one preferably) you seldom visit with mucho advertisements and learn to use it, seeing it in action first hand.

I don't think you understand nor am I versed well to explain how Adguard removes ads and of the many elements there are that have to be consider with the site to keep from being rendered broken for you. When some ad elements are not removed then there is Adguard Assistant a self-service fashion to complete the removal process. The fact you are seeing ads that are not being removed in BT Yahoo doesn't mean Adguard is not working or that BT Yahoo is too secure to prevent this from even happening, no, with however of the means these ads that are added to BT Yahoo, Adguard is not able in removing them correctly, again I would ask you to experiment with the Adguard Assistant - get to know how to use it and attack these ads one by one there, and then just see if it's effective there or not... You'll have to try is all I can say.
    It can only be achieved by Adguard in a self-service feature or auto removal when contained in huge filter lists of the methods as I understand.
    There is also the "submit a complaint" part of the Adguard Assistant which allows you to inform Adguard techs (though may be awhile for actions to take place) about missed ads, which I believe links the current webpage address (URL) your on when used with submit a complaint input and a comment needed by you as the ads type like banner, fixed region, position, subject, etc., something to help identify or call attention to it.

I'll see if I can discover some kind of general guide, to be of value - it should really be of a specific software involved. Are you sure that the screencapture option in Win.10 will not suffice, then it's only uploading the images to a free image hosting service - getting the URL of that image given to you by the free image hosting site and then pasting that URL in a forum or blog. tinypic(dot)com is one I use most often as you don't have to join or supply any personal information - replace (dot) with . ok...
    I'll most likely send to you a PM (personal message) sometime later here - aweek at least from now, lets cover one base at a time, friend.

lesson 101 it's ok to be helpful, but, I would never use my real name, location, as this may live on, if not forever here, than a very long time and the way in which technology can be a benefit, it also can be used for harmful reasons. Who actually knows who! Friending somebody but keep a distance at the same time - like your online persona should never read as that what's in your wallet of personal information. It's dangerous and could make you prey or a victim, then if you'd forget, and tell more about yourself, some observant and crafty crumb has more pieces of your personal puzzle revealed. It's best to have a different user name for every forum you would join (a good dog you have or had, something in the sky or heavens, deep in the oceans, something made up of 3-4 letter words and a few numbers, get an ideal yet - try to keep conversations of a third person acquaintance, like waiting at a bus stop or saying hello to a stranger walking down the street, BUT, never like one you'd have with your Doctor or close family member.
    John your alright just ask questions but leave out personal information's.
    Thanks, Gass

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016