bug? AdGuard assistant remains active when AdGuard is closed

Discussion in 'Technical Support (AdGuard for Windows)' started by Phonemes, Jan 10, 2015.

1. Phonemes

Phonemes Member

Hi,

I just noticed that the Adguard assistant remains active when Adguard is closed from the system tray. Adguard's system tray icon disappears, but the assistant's icon remains visible and it is even possible to block new elements in this situation and Adguard will actually block those elements. So, what is happening here? Closing Adguard doesn't appear to result in filtering being stopped. How do I get Adguard to actually stop filtering if I want it to?

Edit: I also tried closing Adguard completely by terminating the process in Windows taskmanager, but Adguard reactivates itself after a short while.

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2015
  2. Dolfi

Dolfi Banned

Have(n't) you noticed the difference between Close Adguard and Close Adguard but continue filtering in right cklick menu of the tray icon?
    Also: Adguard.exe is only the interface (config, logging) the job is done by AdguardSvc.exe (Taskmgr) / Adguard Service (if you run services.msc).

HTH, Dolfi

3. Phonemes

Phonemes Member

Yes I noticed that, so I chose Close Adguard. As I said, filtering never stopped and I could still use the assistant to create filters and block new elements on a webpage.

4. Dolfi

Dolfi Banned

as you said you know (how to handle) taskmgr:
    - is there an AdguardSvc.exe still alive?
    - if yes: If you kill that: Still an assistant on sites?

(BTW: what build do you use?)

5. Phonemes

Phonemes Member

Dolfi,

I have to leave the house now. I'll get back to this tomorrow.

6. avatar

avatar Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Is that so on every website or not?

7. Phonemes

Phonemes Member

Well, I've been trying to reproduce this behaviour, but I don't see it any longer. Closing Adguard now works as it should and the assistant's icon disappears as soon as I leave the website I was on when I closed AdGuard. I have no idea why this went wrong last Saturday, especially since I tried closing AdGuard several times and the result was the same every time. I will keep an eye out for this. If I see it happening again, I will try to establish the precise circumstances and report back.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2015
  8. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Moderator + Beta Tester Moderator

There's also a chance the Assistant still appearing on websites when filtering disabled *may* be because the website is being cached in the browser with the Assistant's code. If this happens again try clearing the browser cache and try the page again.