Cannot add Adblock Protector filter list URL, results in endless loading filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
@avatar and @vasily_bagirov this is for you.

Try adding this filter list as a URL:

Code:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/X01X012013/AdBlockProtector/master/AdBlockProtectorList.txt
It results in an endless Loading Filter dialog. I'm not the only user who has observed this. I can download the filter list and import it via the browse button just fine. Not sure if it'll auto-update successfully though.

Also, can one of you put in the request to have this added to the available filters list (it's a fork and replacement for Anti-Adblock Killer).

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
Very likely, because AAK isn't actively developed anymore and Adblock Protector is based on/forked from the last released version of AAK, but it's actively updated.

vasily_bagirov

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
So I hope that AdGuard Team quickly fix this issue because it's time to replace AAK...
We've never had AAK as a default preinstalled userscript, and have always tried to rely on updating our own filters. There's no argument, of course, against having the possibility to add ADBPL.

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
In the latest BSOD fix test build, I can now successfully add this filter. However, if you check for updates in Adguard, it'll always "update" this filter even though the version number is the same and never changes, likely due to the redirect.

There's a chance this filter may have to be served through Adguard's servers instead of relying on the filter's Github link.

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
You have to add it via URL still. It's not been added to the actual list of Adguard filters yet.

Also keep in mind this issue when using it (will be fixed in 6.2): https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdguardForWindows/issues/1431

I still think the filter should be pulled to the Adguard/Git server first, then modified it to work for Adguard (it doesn't support Adblock Plus but supports only uBlock Origin), then push it out. I say this as uBO may be using rules with syntax not supported by ABP/Adguard, so some rules may need modification first.

Basically how EasyList is turned into the basis of the English filter.

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
Actually, I'm interested to hear about the idea(s) @avatar mentioned in the other topic, which he had for Anti-Adblock since he felt Adblock Protector was a little bloated (and AAK more-or-less dead).

IMO, I think a "homegrown" solution would be best, instead of relying on userscripts + filters like Adblock Protector and Anti-Adblock Killer.

I guess we'll see. :)

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
The honest answer would be, when it's ready. The milestone says by April 13th, but said milestones are rarely reached. ;)

Keep it mind it first has to go through the beta phase first before it's released as stable, which may take awhile.

https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdguardForWindows/milestone/6

If you're experiencing issues with Anti-Adblock on websites, please report them to the Missed Ads section (along which Adguard you're using, your browser(s) you're using, direct URLs where Anti-Adblock measures can be encountered, screenshots if possible and which filter lists you have enabled).

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
It'll be posted in the Release Notes (Adguard for Windows) section, where all stable releases are announced.

Out of curiosity, why wait for 6.2? The next 6.1 build, which is in the release candidate stage right now, is likely the most stable version of Adguard for Windows yet. Plus you can add the Adblock Protector filter list via its URL (keeping in mind checking for filter updates will always say there's an update until that's fixed in 6.2).

AnthonyG

Out of curiosity, why wait for 6.2? The next 6.1 build, which is in the release candidate stage right now, is likely the most stable version of Adguard for Windows yet. Plus you can add the Adblock Protector filter list via its URL.
Because I am not sure how to add it, and you have said that you cannot update it then if you did add it. And it seems a whole load of hassles that I don't need. I just want to block everything and not worry.

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
When the RC is pushed to release, I'll post screenshots how to add it.

It'll update, but it'll always show there's an update available if you manually update filters (this is because it uses a different string for version in the script itself), that's what the bug is all about.

Status
Not open for further replies.