Cannot update filters.

Discussion in 'Technical Support (AdGuard for iOS)' started by Bruno, Nov 22, 2017.

1. Bruno

Bruno Member

Hi.

Since I cannot update the filter, the user one and also the whitelist.

Btw I have less than 50K filters.

Attached Files:

2. LosH

LosH New Member

I'm having the exact same issues ever since updating my iPhone SE to iOS 11.2 public beta 6 (GM). All the previous iOS 11.2 betas up to beta 5 weren't a problem with Adguard Pro (iOS). Beta 6 (GM) and/or official release might be the issue here.

3. Bruno

Bruno Member

I don't know what it is causing this issue, but shutting down AdG, opening it again make it work sometimes.

4. User10

User10 New Member

I constantly get the error too. At least make it so that the custom filter I am about to apply isn’t erased when getting the error.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
  5. Bruno

Bruno Member

You have to repeat the process until it goes through.

It seems to be an issue from Safari but I do not know why.

6. zebrum

zebrum Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Seems lake bug in Safari.

Closing Safari app may help in some cases.

7. Bruno

Bruno Member

@zebrum

I just noticed something strange.

I tried to update at the extact same time my iPad and iPhone. It worked on the iPad but still got the error message on the iPhone.
    I repeated the experience the next day with the same result.

I guess then that Safari is not the source of the problem.

8. zebrum

The number of rules is the problem actually. We are working on rules compression and still waiting for Apple to resolve the issue from their side.

9. Bruno

Bruno Member

@zebrum

Not sure the number of rules is the problem.

First, how do you explain that it works on the iPad and not on the iPhone when Adguard configuration is identical on both devices.
    Secondly, because of the rules number issue I have to uncheck many filters to end up on the 'Simplified domain Names filter' in oder to decrease the number of rules. Only 39394 rules are now running on both devices.

10. zebrum

11. Bruno

Bruno Member

Thanks

12. Bruno

Bruno Member

Still not sure Safari was responsible because Apple did not update it and it was working on the iPad but not on the iPhone.

Finally with Adguard 2 I am not facing any update issue on both devices. Guess the issue was in fact on Adguard side.

13. zebrum

@Bruno yep, we did a lot of work to improve the situation, but as I know there is still some problems in Safari and iOS code we are going to report them.
    After update to v2.0 most users will not face the problem with loading filters.

14. Bruno

Bruno Member

By the way does the update is automatically or should I do it manually? It is confused because in the Avanced Settings there is an Automatic Updates Over Wi-Fi Only.
    So I am not sure if it updates itself automobile over wifi or also on cellular.

Finally, in the Privacy sections there is an Adguard SDN filter.
    Is it the same than the one in the Filter section?
    Should I keep only one or both?

Thanks!

15. vasily_bagirov

vasily_bagirov Administrator Staff Member Administrator

You should go to AppStore app and select AdGuard Pro among the available updates.

No, the one in Filter section refers to filtering in Safari. The one in Privacy settings works across the device (to filter traffic of other apps and browsers). There are much better filters to use in Safari, but as a blocking subscription AdGuard SDN filter is good.

16. Bruno

Bruno Member

I don't understand your comment. Why do you want me to go on the App Store for?
    In fact, you are saying that "Automatic Updates Over Wi-Fi Only" concerns only Adguard application and not the filters, correct?

So, I guess there is a misunderstanding here. I was asking about the automatic update of the filters for Safari and in Privacy settings.

NB: maybe few explanations In a FAQ section will be great ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2018
  17. vasily_bagirov

... thought you meant the app update, not filter updates. I can't read, obviously.

Agree wholheartedly. As soon as we find time between other tasks.

Bruno likes this.
  18. Bruno

Bruno Member

But what if one elects to use the AdGuard DNS servers, then chooses the AdGuard SDN filter under Privacy Settings, will this cause duplications for filtering of apps not including Safari?

19. vasily_bagirov

@Bruno yes these two will basically provide the same effect. By the way, they still affect filtering in Safari, in addition to Content blocking.

The Seeker likes this.