Chrome Extension vs. Windows App for non-technical user

ProdigalGil

Hi Forum Members,

I have new to Adblockers and just downloaded the Adguard Wins 10 App. I plan to pay for it without any problem. However, I wanted to understand 2 things without being too technical myself:

1. What, if any, advantages do I have if I installed also the Chrome extension?

Note: I have "Enable Extention" under Extensions in the version 6.2 windows app if this has anything to do with it.

I found this https://forum.adguard.com/index.php?threads/adguard-full-client-vs-adguard-plugin-for-chrome.3792/

A user mentions the extension will block the majority of that the windows app will do.

2. If my usage is:
a. Only use chrome
b. Stealth Mode disable, I can use Chrome incognito mode (not sure it is the same?)
c. Browsing Security disable (might slow down browsing as page need to check on Adguard certificate server?)

I have ESET so can use it for web malware and phishing but was advised to turn it off as well, as I wanted to maintain or improve browsing experience speed (from ads loading).

Note: Under Network, I have enabled "Automatically Filter Application Traffic", "Filter HTTPs Protocol" and "Use WFP network driver".

I am unsure if HTTPs filtering will slow on webpage loading, since the purpose of my removing Ads was to speed up browsing without Ads loading, but will leave it on for a trial period to see if it affects browser loading speed.

Thus, with my goal of Ads removal and faster experience of browsing, do I actually need the Window app version?

Thank you in advance for any help!

Blaz

Moderator & Translator
Staff member
Windows program supports some rule syntax the Extension doesn't which means you may see ads on sites with Extension while not with the Windows program.

ProdigalGil

Windows program supports some rule syntax the Extension doesn't which means you may see ads on sites with Extension while not with the Windows program.
perfect thanks. I went ahead with a lifetime license of the desktop version and have not installed the chrome browser version.