Clarification for constant hard drive I/O

woolongdong

Hello Adguard Community,

I tried searching for that topic but it's a bit tough because there is some russian threads I could find (but I'm not a russian speaker and google translation wasn't really good) and of the english threads I found I couldn't really get a clue. Also searching for SSD isn't possible so please bare with me if there was already some explanation for this.

I realized in the windows resource monitor there is constant I/O on my system hard drive (a SSD in my case) from Adguard/AdguardSvc to files like:
C:\$LogFile (NTFS Volume Log)
C:\ProgramData\Adguard\adguard.db
C:\ProgramData\Adguard\adguard.db-journal
C:\ProgramData\Adguard\SSL\cert.db
C:\ProgramData\Adguard\SSL\cert.db-journal

According to Kaspersky this sums up to several GB of disk usage a day. According to Process Explorer I can see around 49GB of I/O Read Bytes and 3.4GB of I/O Write Bytes after around 5hr of PC usage. Can someone please explain to me whats going on here? I'm afraid this will make my SSD wear a lot faster because of this.

With kind regards,
Woo

woolongdong

So according to the Disk & Network tab within Process Explorer there is way less I/O on both the network and the disk (only 6MB read/97MB write for the same duration). It looks like those I/O Read Bytes are somehow misleading because Kaspersky would show it as regular disk usage (which seems to be completely wrong and made me curious in the first place). I can't explain tho why the total I/O is significantly higher than network + disk I/O.

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The reason for this is that AdGuard uses a so-called "control device" for the communication between the network driver and the main process. This "control device" is a virtual disk so it may be counted as IO by Kaspersky.

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Nevertheless, it won't hurt if we check if there are any unnecessary writes to the databases you mentioned.