Cname Cloaking - Current State?

SudoMo

Hi,
as published on 20th Nov. 2019 Adguard startet working on the Cname cloaking problem.
Disguised Trackers - Adguard Blog

What is the current state of implementation in Adguard Windows? Mac? iOS ? Android?
1) As described it's covered by the Adguard-DNS-Servers. How exhaustive is the filterlist? Is there a public list which lists the domains?

Other DNS-servers clame that they are starting to handle the problem.
DNSwarden Github
NextDNS

2) Is there a roadmap to implement blocking within the software, if you don't use Adguard's DNS.

Thank you for the answer in advance.

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
How exhaustive is the filterlist? Is there a public list which lists the domains?
We're still collecting the full list. It takes time, but once the process is fully automated, we'll publish the list.

Please note, that I am talking about the list of first-party domains that will be blocked by all ad-blocking software, and not about disguised trackers which are known already.

2) Is there a roadmap to implement blocking within the software, if you don't use Adguard's DNS.
Do you mean native blocking? It's coming to all our products that do DNS filtering. For instance, if you're using AG for Android nightly, it already does this. AG for iOS will also be able to do it (but we should restore system-wide filtering there -- and most importantly, pass the AppStore review)

SudoMo

Thanks for the reply.

2)
Maybe I explain my (limited) understanding:
Assumption: If I use the DSN servers provided by Adguard on any kind of device without using any other products of Adguard, the usage will protect against cname cloaking.

Question: Will there be a way to block cname cloaking with e.g. Adguard Windows without using Adguard's DNS server?

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yes, regardless of whether you use other AdGuard products, if you use AdGuard DNS, cloaked trackers will be blocked.

SudoMo

Sorry - my question was pointing in the opposite direction.

Question: Will there be a way to block cname cloaking with e.g. Adguard Windows without using Adguard's DNS server?

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yes, there will be, but only after we add DNS filtering to AdGuard for Windows and Mac (which we're going to do in the future versions).

SudoMo

Yes, there will be, but only after we add DNS filtering to AdGuard for Windows and Mac (which we're going to do in the future versions).
Thanks for the answer.

As a sum-up for me:
Adguard will deal with cname cloaking via it's DNS servers. Adguard won't deal with cname cloaking in a way like uBlock will do from version 1.24.3+ on.

So I'm waiting for the updates. I'm using AdGuard Pro with licenses on Win,Mac,iOS and Android (entire family+ friends).