Creating user filter on Android to block Guardian comments

Pbryanw

Hi,

I've just installed the Adguard trial on my Nexus 5X smartphone (non-rooted), and have enabled blocking by VPN (high-speed) and HTTPS filtering.

I've installed my list of user filters and most of them are working well, except one I made to block comments on www.theguardian.com web-site.

The filter is:
Code:
theguardian.com##div[id*="comments"]
It works on uBlock Origin on desktop Firefox and Chrome. However, for some reason it's not working under Adguard on my Android phone.

Any help getting it working would be appreciated,

Thanks, Pbryanw

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hm, just tried it on my device and it works.

The only difference is that I've tried a simpler rule:
Code:
theguardian.com###comments
Are you sure HTTPS filtering kicked in for theguardian.com? Please inspect the site certificate, is it "Adguard Personal CA"?

Pbryanw

@avatar - Thanks, I'll try that simpler rule next time I use my Nexus 5X. Unfortunately, I left it at my parent's house yesterday, so will only gain access to it again this Wednesday. Will report back then, and thanks again for your help with this.

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
No problem! I don't think the rule complicity is the problem, CSS is CSS after all.

My guesses: HTTPS filtering didn't kick in for theguardian.com for some reason or there is some invisible character in the rule text, which breaks it.

Pbryanw

@avatar - I have my Android Phone back and the new, simpler filter works on most of the Guardian web-site when I visit www.theguardian.com/uk

However, when I visit www.theguardian.com/football the filter doesn't seem to work any more. For example on this page.

On my iPad, the filter works as intended, so I don't know why there is a problem on Android? I have also checked the certificate in mobile Chrome, and the web-page is using the Adguard supplied one.

Any further help appreciated. Thanks.

Pbryanw

Hi, after stopping then restarting Adguard on my phone, it looks like I'm all good to go. The Guardian comment filter is working on all parts of their site now. Thanks for the help received on here from avatar, and looks like I will be upgrading to Premium when my trial ends