Cross-Device Tracking to NEW Hights maybe AdGuard will be ready high-frequency

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Gass, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Gass

Gass Member

Cross-Device Tracking: a privacy invasive tracking method

Marketing companies are always on the lookout for new methods to track user activity on the Internet. These information are used to display targeted advertisement to users which have a better return than less-targeted ads.

The more a company knows about a user, the higher the return and that is the main reason why companies step up the tracking game despite public outcry about it and the rise of ad-blockers.

In fact, tracking is one of the core reasons -- the other is invasive ads -- that users install ad-blockers on their devices.

Cross-Device Tracking is yet another ingenious method to track users. As the name suggests, it has the capability to track users across devices. This is done by using high-frequency sounds that are inaudible to the human ear.

The method links devices such as web browsers, mobile devices or TVs through the use of these sounds and browser cookies resulting in a combined tracking profile of the user across devices instead of just individual devices.

The technique allows companies to track users even more, as they know for instance for how long TV ads are watched.

SilverPush, one of the companies that uses cross-device tracking, monitors 18 million smartphones already as of April 2015.

For those who are tracked, it is nearly impossible to tell if they are. These companies don't offer opt-outs and there is no software available that blocks the transmission of high-frequency audio signals. Furthermore, it is unclear which apps, ads or companies make use of the technology. The technique is limited by distance first and foremost.

It seems as well that only apps are used currently to pick up these audio signals, and that ads on the PC and TVs are merely used to push out these signals.

The CDT letter of SilverPush revealed some information, including that the company's software is used on 67 apps, and that "more than a dozen marketing companies" use cross-device tracking.

One recourse that users have is to limit microphone access on their mobile devices. The main issue here is that this is not available by default on many devices. While there are apps available that block the microphone altogether, they may cause usability issues as the microphone needs to be enabled for phone calls for instance.

It is interesting to note that Cross-Device Tracking resembles badBios, a malware discovered in 2013 that uses inaudible sounds to bridge air-gapped computer systems. (via Ars Technica)

By Martin Brinkmann on November 14, 2015

http://www.ghacks.ne...racking-method/

2. avatar

avatar Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Is that legal?

3. Gass

Gass Member

I'd say no based on (privacy), but I need to understand it more.

The fact that they say it's being done, is enough to counter it in someway, yes.
    Can Adguard do a counter of something, say scrambler of the waves before device receives them.
    Add a filter to known app's that use this and blacklist either though firewall or advise to uninstall.

They say through browser cookies resulting in a combined tracking profile - so maybe Adguard
    needs to be a cookie manager as well as everything it already does.
    Look here - I use this and block all cookies in 15 minutes, even my whitelisted cookies. Allowing
    15 minutes allows website navigation -say I'm a member of it.
    http://www.maxa-tools.com/cookie.php

Next you'll probable - will be hearing about through this or similar technology they
    can subliminal you to want to buy something, or buy one product over another if your buying a product anyway.

Scary thoughts to me of where this may be developed to. Then impacting our lives!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2015
  4. avatar

avatar Administrator Staff Member Administrator

The simplest way to block this is to block these tracking apps from uploading information to the server.

If only we know exactly which app do that.