Cross-Platform (Linux/Mac OS X/Android/etc.)

Discussion in 'Feature Requests (Adguard for Windows)' started by Boo Berry, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Moderator + Beta Tester Moderator

Is there any chance Adguard will become cross-platform with other operating systems besides Windows? ;)

I'd be VERY interested in a version for Linux distros and Android. I'd even have a reason to install Mac OS X in a Hackintosh-type of situation too, just for the fun of it. :p

2. avatar

avatar Administrator Staff Member Administrator

We are thinking about cross-platform solution, but the main priority is not android/ios (not linux/macos).

The problem is that Android and Ios limit our abilities in traffic filtration.
    I think that the best solution is VPN-service with Adguard traffic filtration functions.
    It could be really cross-platform, without any limits.

3. Boo Berry

A VPN-serivce would be very interesting to do, especially if there's sort of cloud that supports our user filters across all platforms. :D

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2014
  4. Accel

Accel Beta Tester

any updates on this? i probably will move completely to linux in 6 months from now because of my company decision to move to centos ( i'm working in small company ) after dissapointed on windows server, unless there's some trouble ( i kind of sorted it all out as of now ) and damn. it's far more stable than windows server. one reason i'm still hesitating on moving completely on my laptop because of adguard installed. and i kind of missed it on linux.. i'm not used to using chrome as my main browser and using privately compiled palemoon for linux for my own use. so i'm wondering if there is a update for linux ?

5. avatar

CentOS on laptop? For me it is a bit weird:). Linux is great for servers though.

Is palemoon a firefox-based browser? We are in process of developing Firefox extension. Estimated release date is the middle or end of february.

6. Boo Berry

Why yes it is. :)

7. Accel

Accel Beta Tester

i'm just trying to break it in.. i'm newbie on linux and must really learn it.. ofcourse there is learning session from the company but, i think it is not enough.

i think i'll just give it a try on laptop, i might be formatting my desktop to centos though.. :)

8. avatar

The problem is that either Gnome and KDE are no match for Windows or OSX.
    Both are slow and not very friendly (do not believe these fancy screenshots:)).

I mean Linux is great and bash/shell is much better than "cmd" and Linux distrs are free and stable, etc.
    But wait, I don't want to do scripting while being at home:).

9. Accel

Accel Beta Tester

when i'm in mint like now , i'm using cinnamon though. and i think it is a better OS than windows 8. user friendly enough. when my managers told me to switch, i might use centos only for server, and mint for clients.

10. Boo Berry

Oh yes, Cinnamon is my favorite shell out of all of them. Seriously, grab Linux Mint 16 and see how awesome it is! :D

For 'normal' users and gamers coming from Windows, Ubuntu is probably their best bet... until SteamOS matures.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2014
  11. Accel

Accel Beta Tester

i may like cinnamon but i hate ubuntu with unity.. very hard on resource.. SteamOS would be awesome i think. they use debian as their source which is a stable source and and does not have unity which i might migrate to when my workload subsides maybe in 1-2 years from now

12. avatar

Unity is the very slow indeed.

SteamOS? Never heard of it till today. Will it support all the games from steam? Or linux-games only?

13. Accel

Accel Beta Tester

linux game only

refs:
    Code:
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2429428,00.asp
    steam is working to port popular titles to it. it is a hard work

but at least it is a start... for 20 years, linux has somewhat being ignored by a good chunk of hardware companies with not shipping driver for the hardware they are selling (Creative with their latest sound card comes to mind which make my sound blaster Z laying around after i install Linux Mint).. with steam OS, i think many gamers would to it.. and hardware companies could not ignore the change.. they would atleast release driver or give a portion of code for opensource driver maker to make. (AMD with their OPENCL comes to mind)

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  14. Boo Berry

To be honest, I don't find Unity slow at all... but then again, I have a pretty fast PC.

SteamOS will support Linux-ported games, but it'll allow streaming of Windows games from another PC through SteamOS itself. SteamOS is based on Debian Wheezy with backports of newer libs. They originally wanted to use Ubuntu for SteamOS, however they couldn't due to licensing issues. If AMD's Mantle API works out pretty well on Windows, there's a good chance it'll be ported to Linux (e.g. possibility of Battlefield 4 on Linux).