Disabling "3rd-Party Scripts"

Chuck Colsch

Hello Everyone!
For a Long Time now I have been using UBlock Origin & it has served me well. However, several members of a Security Group that I belong to, have told me that I Really Need to consider upgrading to Adguard, and that Adguard is able to run right alongside of my UBlock Origin.

So . . . Here is the _First_ thing I need to know regarding Adguard:: There is a website that I REALLY like & visit often, which also happens to be based in China (of all places!). And while that website has been Extremely Helpful & I REALLY like it, it Also runs with a _TON_ of 3rd-Party Scripts which {Except for UBlock} would render that website basically UNusable:: These 3rd-Party Scripts make all of the graphics constantly jump around, & Plus, those Scripts disable Most of my Right-Click Functions. SO, I simply click on the UBlock icon & its checkbox to "Disable 3rd-Party Scripts" & BOOM!--Now that Website is just as Peaceful & Friendly as can be, & Everything works Perfectly! :p {Oh, & Thankfully Also:: It totally removes the Uber-Annoying Google-Translation-Spybar which pops up on that website!!}

So of course the Very FIRST thing I need to know in considering Adguard:: Does it let me INSTANTLY ZAP the 3rd-Party-Scripts for a Specific Website?!?

Thank You Very Much for Your Assistance! !

- Chuck

Last edited by a moderator:

Blaz

Moderator & Translator
Staff member
Sadly Adguard doesn't provide such feature yet, but it would be a great addition.

Chuck Colsch

Sadly Adguard doesn't provide such feature yet, but it would be a great addition.
Thank You Very Much, Blaz, for your reply!
Well, I guess it _IS_ truly ESSENTIAL then that I would Need to run it alongside UBlock, since it is a feature that I absolutely could NOT operate without!
Thank You Again!
Chuck

seanl

It can be accomplished by adding a filter rule like this:
Code:
://$script,third-party,domain=example.com
replace example.com part to the domain you want.
This rule will block any url that:
  • contains a string "://" (which is all url actually)
  • has a resource type 'script'
  • is third-party
  • requested from a domain 'example.com'
Instead of blocking all third-party requests, you can use the filtering log functionality to see what url the webpage tries to connect to and selectively block among them.

To do so, currently you have to write rules in the above form by yourself. In the next version of Adguard for Windows, a 'filtering rule constructor' will be added to the filtering log, and from there you can block request by just clicking on the filtering log entry.

Blaz

Moderator & Translator
Staff member
It still requires more work than ublock feature.

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I don't know guys, it's quite easy to add a rule like @seanl suggested.

Requested feature does exactly the same thing. Furthermore, upcoming $csp modifier support brings an even more powerful option for controlling websites scripts (and not only scripts). However, adding a rule requires people to know rules syntax, so yeah, this is some kind of a "barrier".

We may provide a simple UI for this kind of rules, but I'd like it to be discussed here first.

The question is what exactly do we want from it? Disabling 3rd party scripts? Disabling inline scripts maybe? Disabling 3rd party frames? What else do you have in mind?
Also, I disagree that it should be a part of the stealth mode. It is more likely to be a part of the Assistant/Extension UI.

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
What about noscript / umatrix embedded into AG?
You can have the same functionality with AG filter rules. What you don't have is any UI to manage these rules.

That's why I'd like it to be discussed. What exact functionality do you miss in AdGuard, how would you like to manage it? When do you actually need it?

seanl

Maybe it would be good to have some UI on the assistant for blocking certain domains, from which users can block certain domains without ever noticing that a filter rule is being created.

T

The Commissioner

Any update about this? How do I prevent certain websites from running scripts?
Use uBlock origin instead, AdGuard's modifier is a little messy at the moment.
What is even more surprising is that even after knowing the flaw, they continue to create rules based on those modifiers. The english filters lists for e.g is filled with such rules.
Even if AG was to fix it, there is still the added advantage of creating a noop rule in uBlock, which is not possible to create in AdGuard(even in an ideal scenario i.e. everything working as it should).
There is another advantage where your rule can overpower the ones contained in filter lists.

Blaz

Moderator & Translator
Staff member
What is even more surprising is that even after knowing the flaw, they continue to create rules based on those modifiers. The english filters lists for e.g is filled with such rules.
Even if AG was to fix it, there is still the added advantage of creating a noop rule in uBlock, which is not possible to create in AdGuard(even in an ideal scenario i.e. everything working as it should).
There is another advantage where your rule can overpower the ones contained in filter lists.
$important will overpower rules. Also which wonky modificator are you talking about?
Noop disables genericblock rules if I recall.

T

The Commissioner

$important will overpower rules.
And what can overpower $important rules in AG? For e.g. The rule ||local.adguard.com^$script,important doesnot work in AdGuard.
Also an exception rule or block rule(with $important modifier)cannot be overpowered in AdGuard.

Also which wonky modificator are you talking about?
Ask the team they know.

Noop disables genericblock rules if I recall.
Nope.

Zal Paz

Any way to do it on Android? I wish ublock was on Android ):