DNS Filter Question/Setup

Knightmare

I don't know if this is the right way to do it, but I have ADG DNS filter set on my phone to a custom filter. I'm using Steven Black's Hosts file for my DNS filter, and it seems to be working, but I was wondering if this is the way to go. I want to use something other than the ADG DNS filter because it seems to conflict with the regular filters in the app. I didn't know about the hosts format and how it works with ADG. All of the entries in the SB Hosts contain 0.0.0.0 in front of the site it's blocking, but in regular ADG filters, they are formatted with || in front. Will the 0 hosts style affect the way that the sites are blocked? The only reason I want to get away from the ADG DNS is because it contains some filters that I don't use, whereas Steven Black's Hosts is strickly for malware and ads. Also I'm using the default ADG server; if I use another DNS filter list, should I use another server?

Alex302

Filters Developer
Staff member
Administrator
We have non-filtered DNS. So you can enable it and any dns filter.

Knightmare

Okay, but Steven Black's Hosts isn't technically a DNS Filter; it's more like a hosts file. Does that matter? Would a better option be to add ADG filters that I want individually? I don't need the social filter, but I like the ADG Tracking, the ADG Base, and ADG Mobile for DNS filters. Easylist and Easyprivacy conflict with the ADG Base and Tracking filters, so I don't think I need them in my DNS filter.

Last edited: