DNS Filtering on Android blocks all internet access outside of Chrome

krisirl

I started having this problem a couple weeks ago and saw that others were having similar issues, but not exactly the same. I just assumed it was a DNS issue that would sort itself out, so I disabled filtering for the time being. I'm still having this issue.

When I have DNS Filtering enabled, Chrome works normally, but every other app I try to use cannot connect to the internet. This happens on WiFi and on mobile data. It doesn't matter which DNS I choose, including system default. I've as many solutions as I can to no avail. All my other settings are default and I've reinstalled multiple times.

I'm on a Samsung Galaxy S10 with AdGuard 3.3 nightly 26 installed.

I'm hoping someone can shine some light on this issue for me.

Chinaski

Quality Assurance
Staff member
Administrator
@krisirl
Hello there!
Tell me, have you tried changing the type of server, or the server itself, for example, on Google DNS?
Or is the issue reproduced no matter which server you use?

krisirl

@Chinaski I have tried using all of the different server options and I have tried using regular, HTTP, and TLS server types. As long as DNS Filtering is enabled, apps will not work. If I disable routing the app traffic through AdGuard, the app works again.

Chinaski

Quality Assurance
Staff member
Administrator
You probably have a system DNS in your Android settings. Therefore, there is a conflict and some applications cannot access the network.

krisirl

If you're talking about the private DNS setting in the Android settings, I do not have that enabled.

But I just updated to nightly 30, and everything is now working.

I had installed the Samsung One UI beta a while back, and shortly after that I began having these issues. That's the only notable change to my device, so it could have something to do with it. Fortunately things are working now.