DNS filtering questions

Discussion in 'Technical Support (AdGuard for Android)' started by Daysleeper, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Daysleeper

Daysleeper New Member

Hi,

Here's my configuration (targeting for lowest CPU/memory):
    - Filter DNS requests is checked and also pref.vpn.ipv4.bypass and pref.vpn.ipv6.bypass are checked.
    - Ad Blocker: Only simplified domain names is selected.
    - Filtering method: Simplified.

1: When using DNS filtering, does the Filtering method have meaning? Cause I did couple of tests and saw the exact same blocked entries (when log is enabled) with different filtering methods.
    And if it does, is Simplified the best one for lowest CPU/memory?

2: Just to double check, when using DNS filtering, selecting filters other than simplified domain names has no effect (in terms of filtering. not memory), right?

3. http://m.ynet.co.il + click any article + scroll almost to the bottom
    You will see a section powered Links by Taboola.
    The "powered by" is a link to "popup.taboola.com". Other links are "ynet" and "trc.taboola.com".
    When log is enabled, i can see some blocked entries related to Taboola, but still this section is there. Any reason for that?
    Even if you click the "powered by" link, it blocks several Taboola DNS but still shows you the "popup.taboola.com" content (without an entry in the log)
    (In my previous configuration with several filters and high quality method, I didn't see this section)

4. When ynet refers to another website, it adds &ref=ynet.
    Example: https://m.calcalist.co.il/article.aspx?guid=3718269&ref=ynet
    This link opens only when adguard is disabled. When adguard is enabled, the only WA is to manually remove the &ref=ynet + let it fully load one time (still blank page) + refresh the page.
    Any thoughts?

5. Blocking/unblocking rules VIA the logger: Does it have meaning when using DNS filtering? If so, which option is valid? (maybe just "apply to DNS reqquests only"? alghtough I can see the OOB rules are not with "$app=com.adguard.dns").

Thanks.

2. zIBiT

zIBiT Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Nope, filtering method doesn't affect on DNS filtering.

Some rules contain whole domains. Such rules will work.

The high-quality method works with content and cuts ads off (using some hiding styles or even replace some ads). It depends on filters you enable.

This behaviour may be related to using Experimental or Annoyances filters. Do you use some of them?

I'm not sure I understand you right. You can use "apply DNS request only" flag or not. So, it will work only with DNS or both and so.

3. Daysleeper

Daysleeper New Member

Thanks Anton for your prompt response.

So lets take for example:
    a. High-quality method + filters x, y, z and "simplified domain names" filter + no DNS filtering: In this configuration I don't see this ad.
    b. Any method + same filters x, y, z and "simplified domain names" filter + DNS filtering: In this configuration I do see this ad. So this is one "normal"/possible miss when working with DNS filtering?

No. Just using DNS filtering and the only enabled filter is "simplified domain names filter".

So any filter I create from the log screen with any option will apply/work correctly even if I'm using DNS filtering?

For all answers, to be more accurate on "DNS Filtering": Filter DNS requests is checked and also pref.vpn.ipv4.bypass and pref.vpn.ipv6.bypass are checked.

4. zIBiT

zIBiT Administrator Staff Member Administrator

VPN mode works better than just DNS filtering. It's by design because DNS filtering works only with domain names and VPN use the full power of our filters.

5. Daysleeper

Daysleeper New Member

OK, got it. Still I don't understand why I cannot see content of https://m.calcalist.co.il/article.aspx?guid=3718269&ref=ynet
    And again, the issue relates to the reference part (&ref=ynet).
    To the question that it might relates to Experimental or Annoyances filters I've answered that I'm using DNS filtering with only simplified names filter enabled.
    And actually, it happens in any configuration, DNS filtering or not and with "regular"/common filters.

other examples with reference:
    http://www.calcalist.co.il/local/articles/0,7340,L-3718650,00.html?ref=ynet
    https://m.calcalist.co.il/article.aspx?guid=3718650&ref=ynet

And again, just the reference part is problematic, so I don't see how it relates to filters.

6. Daysleeper

Daysleeper New Member

Also did some tests with log filter enabled (DNS filtering):
    1. disable/enable AG + open url with ref (blank page) -> 14 urls are blocked
    2. clear the log
    3. disable/enable AG + open url without ref (content is shown) -> exactly the same 14 urls are blocked

So I don't think it relates to filters

7. Daysleeper

Daysleeper New Member

So Anton, any explanation for this behavior?