Dns filtering vs nomal filtering

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
DNS filtering can only block domains, exactly like HOSTS files do. In my opinion, that type of ad blocking works best when it's done network wide, e.g. with AdGuard Home or Pi-Hole on a Raspberry Pi. That said, because it only blocks domains it can't do any type of cosmetic filtering at all so I personally find DNS/domain ad blocking a "first line of defense" type of deal.

VC321bx47

Beta Tester
DNS filtering can only block domains, exactly like HOSTS files do. In my opinion, that type of ad blocking works best when it's done network wide, e.g. with AdGuard Home or Pi-Hole on a Raspberry Pi. That said, because it only blocks domains it can't do any type of cosmetic filtering at all so I personally find DNS/domain ad blocking a "first line of defense" type of deal.
So if you are not using adguard home and pi-hole dns filtering isn't needed?

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
It's up to each user if they find DNS domain ad blocking beneficial or not. I use AdGuard Home which does this, but other people may not want to. So it's up to the user.

VC321bx47

Beta Tester
I have 1 more question can dns request leek my privacy? For example lcs.naver.com collect user privacy if i block lcs.naver.com website from loding(keep sending dns requests) can it be privacy-rellated problum?

d0x

DNS filtering can also be good for blocking things that use known malware domains that serve payloads to some apps that might not be caught by regular filters

d0x

Is there a dns filter on the windows computer by default?
Windows itself in it's default state? No. You could set the DNS to something with filtering in Windows or your router but it won't catch as much as adguard + DNS filtering.

ChristianL23

well after uninstalling adguard I still can not reach many domains / scripts on pages like it was still running but I uninstalled the windows application days ago (and have no browser extensions, even if changing the browser to different ones, I still can't reach some pages that I can when using OPERA with VPN active)