DNS unreachable when using AG + Chrome browser + Google Home

Discussion in 'Technical Support (AdGuard for Windows)' started by jasonzerozero, Sep 4, 2017.

  1. jasonzerozero

    jasonzerozero New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2016
    Messages:
    16
    Issue: DNS becomes unresolvable within 15 seconds of starting Chrome, if AG and Google Home are on.

    Background: I run about 140 tabs on Chrome (yes, yes, I know) and have never had any troubles with Chrome or AG until I started using my new Google Home - literally 30 seconds after I started using it.

    Current Behaviour:
    If I open chrome (even a few tabs) when AG and GHome are on, the DNS issue appears without fail. This 'breaks' the DNS for the entire PC (including other apps) until I reboot. Logging out doesn't resolve it, nor does the 'ipconfig /flushdns,' etc.
    Using Firefox (only 20 tabs) + AG + GHome causes no issues at all.
    From a clean boot, if I turn off AG, leave GHome on, and open chrome (140 tabs) and load AG 1 min afterwards.... everything is fine.

    Current Diagnosis:
    From all this, I'm pretty sure the issue is with AG (or at least related to AG).

    What logs can I provide to help diagnose for a solution?



    System information:
    Here's some diagnostic info to start with.
    My R700 (running DD-WRT) router shows a peak of 1200 connections when Chrome is first loading up. This settles to about 200 after everything has loaded (~ 60 seconds later).

    PC Setup:
    Win 10 Pro - 64 Bit (v 1703)
    Chrome Version 60.0.3112.113 (Official Build) (64-bit)
    Adguard (Beta) 6.2.390.2018 + 3 extensions

    Extensions:
    1. Adguard assistant Beta (v 4.0.11)
    2. Adguard Popup Blocker Beta (v 1.0.21)
    3. Mouseover Popup Image Viewer (v 2017.4.24.1)
     
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  2. JoshuaC

    JoshuaC New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2017
    Messages:
    2
    Hi,

    I've been having a very similar issue to yourself, though I'm not using Google Home.

    I've recently updated both Adguard and Windows 10 (to the Creator's edition), though I am not certain of the the cause of the issue.

    In my case, DNS resolution beings to fail a short while after Adguard starts. Quitting the tray application itself does not seem to prevent the issue, however disabling the Adguard Service does.

    I have tried using two different Wireless network adapters, and my ethernet connection, and they all succumb to the DNS issues. I have also tried using Google's DNS servers instead of my ISP's however this doesn't make a difference either.

    I am using Windows 10 Education (15063.540).
    Google Chrome Version 61.0.3163.71 (Official Build) beta (64-bit)
    Adguard 6.2.390.2018
     
  3. Boo Berry

    Boo Berry Moderator + Beta Tester Moderator

    Joined:
    May 30, 2012
    Messages:
    3,950
    Yeah, I noticed issues like this too until I recently reformatted my PC and set/forced a DNS in Windows for each network adapter. Haven't had an issue since.
     
  4. jasonzerozero

    jasonzerozero New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2016
    Messages:
    16
    I did also try settings the DNS manually for each adapter (IPv4), but still had no success.
    The only thing that's worked for me has been to close AG when I log in, then open chrome and then load AG after Chrome stabilizes.
     
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  5. JoshuaC

    JoshuaC New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2017
    Messages:
    2
    I'm wondering if Adguard is having issues when Google makes its requests to nonexistent domains (which don't contain a TLD), in order to check if user's ISP redirects failed DNS lookups.

    I wonder if there's some sort of parsing issues with these types of URLs.
     
  6. avatar

    avatar Administrator Staff Member Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2010
    Messages:
    13,140
    Thank you for reporting it! This indeed sounds like a major bug.

    We need to get AdGuard's debug log in order to troubleshoot this.

    1. Tray menu -> Advanced -> Logging level -> Debug
    2. Reproduce the issue
    3. Grab the logs and send it to us: https://kb.adguard.com/en/windows/solving-problems/adguard-logs
     
    jasonzerozero likes this.
  7. jasonzerozero

    jasonzerozero New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2016
    Messages:
    16
    Logs sent.

    To add, when closing AG, if I allow the background service to keep running (before loading Chrome), Chrome and GHome will work.
     
  8. zIBiT

    zIBiT Administrator Staff Member Administrator

    Joined:
    May 15, 2017
    Messages:
    409
    jasonzerozero likes this.
  9. Boo Berry

    Boo Berry Moderator + Beta Tester Moderator

    Joined:
    May 30, 2012
    Messages:
    3,950
    I don't think Google Home is a factor here as I just encountered a similar DNS issue a half an hour ago (e.g. DNS probe errors in Chrome). It's worth noting I don't even use Google Home and it still randomly happened. Rebooting fixed it, of course, but sadly I didn't have debug mode enabled at the time. :mad:
     
  10. jasonzerozero

    jasonzerozero New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2016
    Messages:
    16
    This issue has been resolved in the latest build.
    Thanks. :)
     
    zIBiT likes this.