DNS unreachable when using AG + Chrome browser + Google Home

Discussion in 'Technical Support (AdGuard for Windows)' started by jasonzerozero, Sep 4, 2017.

1. jasonzerozero

jasonzerozero New Member

Issue: DNS becomes unresolvable within 15 seconds of starting Chrome, if AG and Google Home are on.

Background: I run about 140 tabs on Chrome (yes, yes, I know) and have never had any troubles with Chrome or AG until I started using my new Google Home - literally 30 seconds after I started using it.

Current Behaviour:
    If I open chrome (even a few tabs) when AG and GHome are on, the DNS issue appears without fail. This 'breaks' the DNS for the entire PC (including other apps) until I reboot. Logging out doesn't resolve it, nor does the 'ipconfig /flushdns,' etc.
    Using Firefox (only 20 tabs) + AG + GHome causes no issues at all.
    From a clean boot, if I turn off AG, leave GHome on, and open chrome (140 tabs) and load AG 1 min afterwards.... everything is fine.

Current Diagnosis:
    From all this, I'm pretty sure the issue is with AG (or at least related to AG).

What logs can I provide to help diagnose for a solution?

System information:
    Here's some diagnostic info to start with.
    My R700 (running DD-WRT) router shows a peak of 1200 connections when Chrome is first loading up. This settles to about 200 after everything has loaded (~ 60 seconds later).

PC Setup:
    Win 10 Pro - 64 Bit (v 1703)
    Chrome Version 60.0.3112.113 (Official Build) (64-bit)
    Adguard (Beta) 6.2.390.2018 + 3 extensions

Extensions:
    1. Adguard assistant Beta (v 4.0.11)
    2. Adguard Popup Blocker Beta (v 1.0.21)
    3. Mouseover Popup Image Viewer (v 2017.4.24.1)

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  2. JoshuaC

JoshuaC New Member

Hi,

I've been having a very similar issue to yourself, though I'm not using Google Home.

I've recently updated both Adguard and Windows 10 (to the Creator's edition), though I am not certain of the the cause of the issue.

In my case, DNS resolution beings to fail a short while after Adguard starts. Quitting the tray application itself does not seem to prevent the issue, however disabling the Adguard Service does.

I have tried using two different Wireless network adapters, and my ethernet connection, and they all succumb to the DNS issues. I have also tried using Google's DNS servers instead of my ISP's however this doesn't make a difference either.

I am using Windows 10 Education (15063.540).
    Google Chrome Version 61.0.3163.71 (Official Build) beta (64-bit)
    Adguard 6.2.390.2018

3. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Moderator + Beta Tester Moderator

Yeah, I noticed issues like this too until I recently reformatted my PC and set/forced a DNS in Windows for each network adapter. Haven't had an issue since.

4. jasonzerozero

jasonzerozero New Member

I did also try settings the DNS manually for each adapter (IPv4), but still had no success.
    The only thing that's worked for me has been to close AG when I log in, then open chrome and then load AG after Chrome stabilizes.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  5. JoshuaC

JoshuaC New Member

I'm wondering if Adguard is having issues when Google makes its requests to nonexistent domains (which don't contain a TLD), in order to check if user's ISP redirects failed DNS lookups.

I wonder if there's some sort of parsing issues with these types of URLs.

6. avatar

avatar Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Thank you for reporting it! This indeed sounds like a major bug.

We need to get AdGuard's debug log in order to troubleshoot this.

1. Tray menu -> Advanced -> Logging level -> Debug
    2. Reproduce the issue
    3. Grab the logs and send it to us: https://kb.adguard.com/en/windows/solving-problems/adguard-logs

jasonzerozero likes this.
  7. jasonzerozero

jasonzerozero New Member

Logs sent.

To add, when closing AG, if I allow the background service to keep running (before loading Chrome), Chrome and GHome will work.

8. zIBiT

zIBiT Administrator Staff Member Administrator

jasonzerozero likes this.
  9. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Moderator + Beta Tester Moderator

I don't think Google Home is a factor here as I just encountered a similar DNS issue a half an hour ago (e.g. DNS probe errors in Chrome). It's worth noting I don't even use Google Home and it still randomly happened. Rebooting fixed it, of course, but sadly I didn't have debug mode enabled at the time. :mad:

10. jasonzerozero

jasonzerozero New Member

This issue has been resolved in the latest build.
    Thanks. :)

zIBiT likes this.