Does adguard block or remove ads in Firefox?

Discussion in 'AdGuard for Firefox' started by Drew99GT, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Drew99GT

Drew99GT New Member

The title says it all; I've seen a few people discussing this about the Chrome addon as the description says it blocks but doesn't actually remove the code for ads in the browser. How does Adguard do this for Firefox? Does it remove the code or simply blocks the visible ad, and how does Adguard compared to Adblock in this regard? If it only blocks the ad, can malacious code from malacious ads still get through the browser?

Thanks for any information!

2. avatar

avatar Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Hi!

Both chrome and firefox extensions can block ad requests.

The difference between standalone version and extensions is that extensions cannot modify page code before it is loaded by the browser.
    That's why there is an additional post-processing step: http://adguard.com/en/how-ads-blocked.html#cosmetic

ABP and Adguard for Firefox are pretty similar in how we block ads. The difference is in how we apply "element hiding" rules. ABP registers browser-wide stylesheet (adding 4-5MB overhead for every frame) while Adguard first checks frame and does not inject stylesheet if there's no need in it.

It depends. If this code is loaded from some third-party URL than there's no problem in blocking it.
    But if the code is embedded to the page than extension cannot handle it.

3. Drew99GT

Drew99GT New Member

Thanks very much Avatar! Really appreciate the detailed response.

---------- Post added at 10:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 AM ----------

One more quick question; how does Adguard handle phishing and malicious websites when you have that enabled? Does it download a list like the filters do? Also, would it be redundant to add the Easylist/Easy Privacy and malware domains filters to Adguard, or are the native Adguard filters basically the same as the Easylist filters? Reason I ask is, when i do add Easylist/Easy Privacy, it blocks significantly more objects on certain websites.

Thanks again for your help.

4. avatar

We have an article about this:
    http://adguard.com/en/how-malware-blocked.html

In general, extension sends a request to our lookup API when you start loading the page.
    It has a major drawback: malicious code can be loaded before extension has got a response with a check result.

Unfortunately we can't pause the page load until response is ready - in this case page load will be too slow.

No need in EasyList if you use English filter (English filter is a fork of EasyList, so you'll get the same filters twice).
    EasyPrivacy and our Spyware filter are similar but they are independent.

Also could you please tell the websites where EasyPrivacy blocks significantly more?
    We'd like to find out what we've missed.

5. Drew99GT

Drew99GT New Member

I'd be glad to tell you but it's a political website; can I send it to you via PM, or do you have a page for uploading that type of information similar to antivirus companies for false positives?

6. avatar

It would be faster if you just send me it in PM.