Does disabling WOT stops them from selling my data?

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Wow, thanks for sharing this article. I'd like to read WOT answer too.

Anyway, in case of Adguard's extension, no data is handed to WOT.
We pay for their websites reputation data with cash, not with users' data.

Requests are made to our own server - rating.adguard.com.

LenKiMo

I think Adguard should make a official statement about the situation before and after get the answer to WoT.
Maybe not every user like me would come to the forum of Adguard and find the information.

LenKiMo

对于后来的中文用户:官方声明已经发布。
For subsequent reader: the official statement is already published.
https://blog.adguard.com/en/official-statement-on-web-of-trust-case/

For Chinese Reader if you are here, this is the unofficial translation of the statement translated by volunteer:
如果您是中文用户,下面是由志愿者翻译的 Adguard 的官方声明的非正式译本:
有关 Web of Trust 的官方声明
很久之前,我们为 Windows 与 Mac 平台的 Adguard 引入了一款 Web of Trust 扩展(用以监控网站声誉状况)。今天我们发现 Web of Trust 被怀疑将数百万用户的浏览历史数据销售给第三方。

我们决定就此发表一篇官方声明,以向所有人确认并保证 Adguard 中的相关扩展没有做出过任何此类行为。

首先,我们需要说明:我们确实在 Adguard 中包含了 Web of Trust 扩展,但是其并非 WoT 官方原版扩展。这一扩展是由我们开发的,并使用由 Web of Trust 提供的网站声誉数据。
同时需要着重提及的是,这些数据是我们通过花费金钱而购得,并且我们从未使用我们的用户的隐私作为交换。

今天的新闻令我们十分失望,Web of Trust 的官方扩展已经从 addons.mozilla.org 中移除,而我们将在下周决定我们应如何处理 Adguard 中的 Web of Trust 扩展。

Gass

Hi does disabling WOT completely disables all functions of that extension?
I would be more happy to delete it from the extension list. Any hint how to do that?
http://www.ghacks.net/2016/11/01/browsing-history-sold/
It shoudent be activated on normal installs from now on maybe?

This was already shared with the Adguard forum on Wednesday 11-02-2016 by yigido member on https://forum.adguard.com/index.php?threads/adguard-and-wot.14833/ post #10, and being discussed there.

I thought Adguard forums frowned on such CopyCat and Parasitic Topics being nomore than outtakes from other conversations here on the Forums.
From what I understood from it being said in the forums about this very similar nature and action to this of the Thread here displays.

This is not a good idea. It would be a parasitic topic, which doesn't spark any discussion and will slowly drown unless pinned.
I thought I had understood the meaning of the quote, maybe it was only directed for myself and not all members, so which is it?
Not trying to cause a stir but, this Thread is old news by a day here in the Adguard Forums and already then covered with discussions on the members concerns of this Threads Topic - do we really need two separate discussions going on covering same things?:)
Gass

Last edited: