e10s (aka Electrolysis, aka multiprocess)??

haakon

My search here in this "Adguard for Firefox" forum resulted in two hits - one in Russian and the other 2.5 years old. Sorry if it's being more recently addressed in some other forum...

Mozilla v51.0 browser
Adguard Adblocker extension v2.5.11
Windows 7 x64 & Windows 10 x6 systems

Since v50.x (NOV 2015) I've been running the browser e10s enabled with zero issues.

areee10syet dot com posts an "unknown" for Adguard compatibility.

The add-ons extension Add-on Compatibility Reporter v2.2.3 indicates "not compatible."

Adguard-Multiprocess.jpg

Understanding that compatibility is not requisite for stability or mission critical, I am simply curious as to whether the Adguard extention is or is not targeted for e10s compatibility.

Or is it already compatible and that Web site and the extension need to catch up?

Thank you!

Last edited:

haakon

Well, it seems you edited out "it seems" by the time I got here to respond.

ItSeemsBooBerry.jpg

Which is good as "it seems" is valid for discussion in highly technical climate change forums.

I failed to point out in my OP that in v2.2.3 is the perfectly implemented "Add-on is now optimized for multiprocess Firefox."

The accepted parlance is compatible and I wonder if optimized is used in the same context.

As far as I can tell, Adguard is running in the same memory space as the Web Content PID. Which is OK.

So, my curiosity still stands.

But hey, at least you bumped your post count up another point. ;)

vasily_bagirov

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
@haakon
Adguard extension is compatible with e10s, but we use 'shims', and thus the extension is not marked as compatible yet. It will be after the 2.6 update.

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
On top of that, Firefox extensions will be WebExtensions-only by the end of the year, with Firefox 57 at last check.

haakon

Thanks to all! That explains much.

For the record, the browser I use is Cyberfox Intel x64 Portable, currently 51.0.1 and boogered with these:
browser.tabs.remote.force-enable > true
browser.tabs.remote.autostart false > true
dom.ipc.processCount > 8

Your optimization works superbly along side a plethora of privacy/security extensions; I generally run less than a dozen or so tabs. Looking forward to v2.6 since compatible, I'm sure you are aware, is the target objective which will be scrutinized. Hence my concern/curiosity.

Having worked (suffered, really) with the hosts file since the 90's and using Palant's stuff since day one, I tried your extension last year and stuck with it - function and user experience being far superior.

That wasn't all that surprising as I've been running licensed Adguard on my two mobile devices for a couple of years and can't imagine using Android without it.

You folks build Good Stuff.

Cheers.

Last edited:

AdMuncherOrphan

^ from today's Firefox Nightly update (55.0a1). There no way in GUI to force enable.

Posting here as a warning to Adguard devs speed up extension development.

Boo Berry

Moderator + Beta Tester
Have you tried the 2.6.1 beta build? It's an Embedded WebExtension (so it can migrate the data from the older extension - it will still give off the Legacy warning though) version of the Adguard for Firefox browser extension, which will become a full WebExtension eventually once, I assume, the majority of users are switch over after the 2.6 stable launch. It's likely the issue is solved there.

Even though, as far as I can recall, Adguard for Firefox has supported e10s for at least a year now. @avatar or @vasily_bagirov correct me if I'm wrong here.

But for anyone encountering this issue (and not using the 2.6 beta build) you can go into about:config and set extensions.allow-non-mpc-extensions to true, and it'll work again.

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Even though, as far as I can recall, Adguard for Firefox has supported e10s for at least a year now. @avatar or @vasily_bagirov correct me if I'm wrong here.
Yup, it did support it through "shims", I guess they plan to get rid of this type of e10s support eventually.

Anyways, with the ongoing WebExtensions transition, it shouldn't be a problem soon.

danielson

Was using uBlock for a few weeks now until i finally decided to check here at the forum.

2.6.5 seems to be working flawlessly with Firefox 54.0.1 - thanks! :)