e10s?

Discussion in 'AdGuard for Firefox' started by Boo Berry, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Moderator + Beta Tester Moderator

Since Firefox is working towards multiple process (like Chrome) via the e10s aka Electrolysis project, some extensions currently don't work. I haven't tested Adguard with e10s, but does/will Adguard support e10s?

http://arewee10syet.com/

Adblock Plus supports e10s currently, among a handful of other extensions.

2. avatar

avatar Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Thank you Boo, we'll test it!

3. avatar

Ok, we've checked it. Adguard does not work just after installation, but start working after browser restart and disabling/enabling extension.

4. Boo Berry

When restarting Firefox, it probably reverted back to normal and not e10s. I find I have to use the Open e10s Window option.

5. Boo Berry

Yeah, I did more testing. Adguard doesn't work when e10s is enabled. Restarting the browser will cause Nightly to revert back and not use e10s HOWEVER there's a way to force e10s all the time! Just go to about:config and set browser.tabs.remote.autostart to true and restart Nightly and it'll work all the time... but Adguard won't work at all. Keep in mind Nightly can be pretty buggy in this state so loading pages may have issues when running e10s.

Here's some documentation on how to support e10s: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/User:wbamberg/e10s/Working_with_multiprocess_Firefox

6. avatar

7. Boo Berry

No problem! :) Since e10s actually has a roadmap to release (Feb 2015 was the earliest I saw) I thought it might be good to at least have a heads up about it and the changes needed to all Firefox extensions to support it.

8. Boo Berry

e10s has reached their first milestone!

9. Boo Berry

When using Nightly you're prompted to enable e10s now. Also, there's a open bug report about the Adguard Firefox extension and e10s here. Adguard is also on the e10s extension list here too!

10. Boo Berry

Looks like Mozilla is going to turn e10s on by default in Nightly soon with hopes it'll land in stable around March in Firefox 37. Has there been any progress with this?

---------- Post added at 04:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:54 PM ----------

Also somebody already filed a report about Adguard not working with e10s on Bugzilla: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1068555 and Adguard is listed as not working on http://arewee10syet.com/ too.

11. avatar

We hope Mozilla will fix these compatibility issues.

SDK becomes unpredictable with e10s and I doubt that it is ready for beta now.
    If they don't change the situation in beta version we'll think of some workarounds on our side.

12. Boo Berry

Like what?

13. avatar

It's difficult to describe. Their API behaves weird, it sometimes conflicts with the description.
    Like we've initialized variable and then it becomes null without any reason.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2014
  14. Boo Berry

Looks like the bug causing Nightly/e10s not to work with the extension has been fixed. However, when using 2.0.4 in Nightly integration mode might not be working (the icon never turns blue).

15. avatar

Yes, there're some new errors instead of that.